Find the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot.

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot. The equations Fwsin30 and Fwsin40 may be applicable to find tension, and solving the problem requires considering the forces acting on the tip where the weight is hung from. These forces must add up to zero since the point is not accelerating. This can be done using horizontal and vertical components or by creating a head-to-tail triangle diagram and using the laws of sines and cosines. The strut by the pivot refers to the pole acting at a 45 degree angle and the forces involved include gravity, the push of the strut, and the pull of the guy wire.
davidelete
1. Find the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/382/tension.png

Homework Equations

I think Fwsin30 and Fwsin40 is applicable here to find tension.

The Attempt at a Solution

The information provided is EXTREMELY vague in my opinion, and I have no idea how to come to any sensible solution. I am not sure if torque is needed or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't know what the "strut by the pivot" means so I have to agree it is vague. I would work with the forces acting on the tip where the weight is hung from. There are three forces acting there and since that point is not accelerating, those three forces must add up to zero. You can go with horizontal and vertical components for each vector, or you can go with a head-to-tail triangle diagram of the three vectors adding to zero and solve it with law of sines and law of cosines.

Delphi51 said:
Well, I don't know what the "strut by the pivot" means so I have to agree it is vague. I would work with the forces acting on the tip where the weight is hung from. There are three forces acting there and since that point is not accelerating, those three forces must add up to zero. You can go with horizontal and vertical components for each vector, or you can go with a head-to-tail triangle diagram of the three vectors adding to zero and solve it with law of sines and law of cosines.

The strut by the pivot, I do believe, is the pole acting at the 45 degree angle. Could you please explain what forces those may be? I know that one must be Fw or Force of weight.

Yes, gravity and the push of the strut and the pull of the guy wire. I would assume that the strut just pushes in its own direction.

FAQ: Find the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot.

1. What is the purpose of finding the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot?

The purpose of finding the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot is to understand the overall stability and balance of the structure. These measurements help determine if the structure is able to withstand external forces and maintain its structural integrity.

2. How is the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot calculated?

The tension in the guy wire can be calculated using the formula T = W/cos(theta), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the structure, and theta is the angle between the guy wire and the ground. The force on the strut by the pivot can be calculated by using the equation F = T/tan(theta), where F is the force on the strut and tan(theta) is the tangent of the angle between the strut and the ground.

3. What factors can affect the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot?

The tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load on the structure, the angle and length of the guy wire and the strut, and external forces such as wind or seismic activity.

4. How do the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot impact the stability of the structure?

The tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot play a critical role in maintaining the stability and balance of the structure. If these forces are not properly calculated and accounted for, it can lead to structural failure and collapse.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when calculating the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot?

Yes, it is important to take necessary safety precautions when calculating the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot. This may include wearing appropriate safety gear and ensuring that all calculations are accurate and precise to prevent any potential hazards.