Solving a Homework Problem with One Pivot

In summary, the homework equation for a 50N beam is M=FD. The problem is not worded correctly, it should say that the board is just on the verge of lifting off the right support. However, by using two different axes and solving for the torque, it can be proven that the upward and downward force on the plank is 0.
Falcon99

Homework Statement

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/373928512811302912/528638926148337704/question.PNG
question.PNG

part a )50N
I cannot answer part b.

Homework Equations

M=FD

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so if both pivots were in contact with the beam I would just equate them with the oppposite moments( anticlockwise ,clockwise) e.g 4
However because only 1 pivot is in contact with the beam I can't figure out how to equate it . I tried finding the resultant anticlockwise moment which was 100nm but that would me it would be turning so that's not right. This website http://wiki.math.se/wikis/2009/bridgecoursemechanics/index.php/14._Moments_and_equilibrium has been usefult but only explains it when there is 2 pivots .

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 592
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two facts that you can use:
(1) The net torque about any point must be zero. (Assuming equilibrium.)
(2) The net force on the plank must be zero.

That should allow you to solve b.

The problem is not worded correctly, it should say that the board is just on the verge of lifting off the right support.
But how did you-get the answer to part a?? Please show your work.

Likes CWatters
PhanthomJay said:
The problem is not worded correctly, it should say that the board is just on the verge of lifting off the right support.
But how did you-get the answer to part a?? Please show your work.
I did 2Xw=200X0.5
w=50N

Falcon99 said:
I did 2Xw=200X0.5
w=50N

Doc Al said:

Doc Al said:

How do I find the force though , I have equated those but just proves they're are equlibrium like you said, I can't see where I can equate for F(force)

How about you use fact #2 from my list? Express that mathematically.

Doc Al said:
How about you use fact #2 from my list? Express that mathematically.
Ok I've found the anticlockwise and clockwise moments, so net moment is 0 . But still haven't found a way to prove the upward and downward force on the plank is 0.

Falcon99 said:
But still haven't found a way to prove the upward and downward force on the plank is 0.
That's just a condition for equilibrium, which must be assumed to solve the problem. (As @PhanthomJay points out, the problem could have been worded more clearly.)

(Hint: Clearly identify the forces acting on the plank. There are three: Two act down, one acts up.)

Falcon99 said:
haven't found a way to prove the upward and downward force on the plank is 0.
You do not need to prove that. As @PhanthomJay pointed out, the question is poorly worded. It should say that the other end only just starts to lift, i.e. the acceleration is negligible. This allows you to treat it as a statics problem, so the forces are necessarily in balance. You just need to express that as an equation.
Note that the torque balance equations you already used assume the system is effectively static. It cannot be solved without that assumption.

By the way, it is not strictly necessary to use the linear force balance. You can solve the problem entirely with torques, provided you use two different axes. Indeed, the linear balance is equivalent to using an axis at infinity.

haruspex said:
You do not need to prove that. As @PhanthomJay pointed out, the question is poorly worded. It should say that the other end only just starts to lift, i.e. the acceleration is negligible. This allows you to treat it as a statics problem, so the forces are necessarily in balance. You just need to express that as an equation.
Note that the torque balance equations you already used assume the system is effectively static. It cannot be solved without that assumption.

By the way, it is not strictly necessary to use the linear force balance. You can solve the problem entirely with torques, provided you use two different axes. Indeed, the linear balance is equivalent to using an axis at infinity.
Yeah all makes sense now , I see what you mean I can just equate like a normal statics question. Thanks a lot for everyones help and time.

Likes PhanthomJay

1. How do I know which pivot to choose when solving a homework problem?

When solving a homework problem with one pivot, it is important to choose the pivot such that it creates zeros in as many entries as possible in the pivot column. This can help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. Additionally, it is recommended to choose a pivot that is not too large or too small, as this can lead to errors in the calculations.

2. What if there are no suitable pivots in a homework problem?

If there are no suitable pivots in a homework problem, it may be necessary to rearrange the equations or manipulate them in some way to create a suitable pivot. This can involve swapping rows or using algebraic techniques such as multiplying or dividing an equation by a constant.

3. Can I use any method to solve a homework problem with one pivot?

There are various methods that can be used to solve a homework problem with one pivot, such as Gaussian elimination, Gauss-Jordan elimination, and Cramer's rule. It is important to choose a method that is suitable for the given problem and that you are comfortable with.

4. How do I check if my solution to a homework problem with one pivot is correct?

To check if your solution to a homework problem with one pivot is correct, you can plug in the values you have found for the variables into each equation and see if they satisfy the equations. Additionally, you can use a calculator or software program to verify your solution.

5. What mistakes should I avoid when solving a homework problem with one pivot?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a homework problem with one pivot include choosing the wrong pivot, making errors in calculations, and forgetting to perform the same operations on both sides of the equations. It is important to carefully check each step and make sure that the equations are still equivalent after each operation.