Find max compression of spring, block on incline

In summary, a 5 kg block slides down a frictionless ramp at a 30 degree angle, compressing an unstretched spring with a spring constant of 3000 N/m located 1.3 m away from the block. By setting the equations for gravitational potential energy and spring potential energy equal to each other, it is determined that the maximum compression of the spring is 0.146 m. However, if the block moves more than 1.3 m down the incline, the calculation must be adjusted.
DrWillVKN

Homework Statement

A 5 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations

mgh = PEgravitational
(0.5)kx^2 = PEspring

The Attempt at a Solution

Since energy is conserved, i set them equal to one another, with h = sin(30)*1.3. x gives 0.146m as maximum compression. Webassign doesn't take this as the right answer. I tried all numbers from 0.01 - 1.99, none are the right answers. This question is making me want to smash my computer. (Also, I tried negative values too.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and your answer is correct. Does Webassign ask for it in cm or another unit?

rock.freak667 said:
Your method and your answer is correct. Does Webassign ask for it in cm or another unit?

It's in meters. If the answer is correct, I'd check with the instructor, thanks.

If the spring is compressed by an amount x, then h is given by:

[tex]h=(1.3+x)\sin(30^{\circ})\,.[/tex]

The block moves more than 1.3m down the incline.

SammyS said:
If the spring is compressed by an amount x, then h is given by:

[tex]h=(1.3+x)\sin(30^{\circ})\,.[/tex]

The block moves more than 1.3m down the incline.

oh wow, that makes sense now, thanks!

1. How do you find the max compression of a spring?

The max compression of a spring can be found by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. By measuring the force and displacement of the spring, you can calculate the spring constant (k) and use it to find the maximum compression of the spring.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and the max compression of the spring?

The mass of the block does not directly affect the maximum compression of the spring. However, it does affect the amount of force exerted on the spring, which in turn affects the maximum compression. A heavier block will exert more force on the spring, resulting in a greater maximum compression.

3. How does the angle of incline affect the max compression of the spring?

The angle of incline does not have a direct effect on the maximum compression of the spring. However, it does affect the force exerted on the spring by the block. As the angle of incline increases, the component of the block's weight acting down the incline also increases, resulting in a greater force on the spring and a greater maximum compression.

4. Can the max compression of a spring be negative?

No, the maximum compression of a spring cannot be negative. The spring will always have a minimum length, and the maximum compression would be measured from that minimum length. If the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position is less than the minimum length, the maximum compression would be zero.

5. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the max compression?

The stiffness of the spring, also known as the spring constant (k), directly affects the maximum compression. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring and the more force it takes to compress it. This results in a smaller maximum compression compared to a spring with a lower spring constant.