Help Stuck on these 2 problems

• Thread starter joselyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: determining the motion equations of an ideal pendulum and finding the motion equations for a machine consisting of a rotating cylinder and a mass attached by a cord. The solutions for both problems involve considering the forces and components involved in the motion.
joselyn
Help! Stuck on these 2 problems

1. Determine the motions equations of an ideal pendulum of mass m and lengh r.

2. A machine is formed by a homogenous cylinder of radio R and mass M. It rotates in its axel (frictionless). A mass by an inextensible cord (massless) is roller to cylinder. Find the motions equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
joselyn said:
1. Determine the motions equations of an ideal pendulum of mass m and lengh r.
This is fully explained in many texts. All you need to work out is the tangential restoring force on the pendulum mass:

[tex]F_{tang} = ma_{tang}[/tex] = tangential component of mg.

2. A machine is formed by a homogenous cylinder of radio R and mass M. It rotates in its axel (frictionless). A mass by an inextensible cord (massless) is roller to cylinder. Find the motions equations.
I am not sure I understand the problem here. Is the mass on a horizontal frictionless surface begin rolled toward the cylinder or is it rotating about the cylinder?

AM

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are stuck on these two problems. I can definitely try to help you with them.

For the first problem, to determine the motion equations of an ideal pendulum, we can use the equation for the period of a pendulum, which is T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. From this equation, we can derive the equations for the position, velocity, and acceleration of the pendulum as a function of time.

For the second problem, to find the motion equations of the machine formed by a homogenous cylinder, we can use the equations for rotational motion, which are θ = ωt and ω = αt, where θ is the angular position, ω is the angular velocity, and α is the angular acceleration. We can also use the equation for torque, τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

I hope this helps you get started on solving these problems. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Good luck!

What are the specific problems you are stuck on?

It would be helpful to provide the specific questions or tasks you are having trouble with in order for others to provide assistance.

What have you already tried to solve the problems?

It is important to mention any attempts you have made to solve the problems, as this can provide insight into your thought process and help others offer more targeted suggestions.

What resources have you consulted for help?

If you have already looked for help, it would be helpful to mention what resources you have used. This can help others avoid suggesting solutions you have already tried.

Can you provide more context or background information?

Sometimes, providing additional context or background information can help others understand the problem better and offer more effective solutions.

Are there any specific concepts or techniques you are struggling with?

If there are specific concepts or techniques that you are having trouble understanding, it would be helpful to mention them so that others can provide targeted explanations or resources.