Mutual Inductance Between a Coil and a Solenoid

In summary: So the angle between the plane and the axis of the solenoid is the angle between the normal to the plane (which is the same as the axis of the small coil) and the axis of the solenoid. In summary, we are asked to find the mutual inductance between a small coil and a long solenoid, given that the coil has N2 loops, each of area A2, and the solenoid has N1 loops in its length L and has area A1. By substituting the given values into the equation for mutual inductance, we can find the value of M2 as a function of θ, the angle between the normal to the plane of the small coil (which is also
asap9993

Homework Statement

A small, thin coil with N2 loops, each of area A2, is placed inside a long solenoid, near its center. The solenoid has N1 loops in its length L and has area A1. Find the mutual inductance as a function of θ, the angle between the plane of the small coil and the axis of the solenoid.

Homework Equations

M2 = N2[itex]\phi[/itex]2/I1
[itex]\phi[/itex]2 = BA2cos(θ) = μ0(N1/L)I1A2cos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

If we just substitute for [itex]\phi[/itex]2 into the equation for M2, we get that
M2 = (N2/I1)BA2cos(θ) = μ0(N1N2/L)A2cos(θ)

Everything is right here except that the correct solution has sin(θ) instead of cos(θ). Why is that? Isn't the magnetic flux defined as a dot product?

Physics news on Phys.org
asap9993 said:

Homework Statement

A small, thin coil with N2 loops, each of area A2, is placed inside a long solenoid, near its center. The solenoid has N1 loops in its length L and has area A1. Find the mutual inductance as a function of θ, the angle between the plane of the small coil and the axis of the solenoid.

Homework Equations

M2 = N2[itex]\phi[/itex]2/I1
[itex]\phi[/itex]2 = BA2cos(θ) = μ0(N1/L)I1A2cos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

If we just substitute for [itex]\phi[/itex]2 into the equation for M2, we get that
M2 = (N2/I1)BA2cos(θ) = μ0(N1N2/L)A2cos(θ)

Everything is right here except that the correct solution has sin(θ) instead of cos(θ). Why is that? Isn't the magnetic flux defined as a dot product?
I think it has to do with the wording, "the angle between the plane of the small coil and the axis of the solenoid."

The axis of the small coil is perpendicular to the plane of the same, small coil.

asap9993 said:

Homework Statement

" ...the angle between the plane of the small coil and the axis of the solenoid. "

You are right. When speaking of the angle a plane makes with another direction, the normal should be understood, although very often it isn't.

A plane has direction only in the sense of its normal.

1. What is mutual inductance between a coil and a solenoid?

Mutual inductance is the measure of the ability of two inductively coupled circuits to influence each other's current flow. In the case of a coil and solenoid, it is the measure of how much the changing magnetic field of one component induces a voltage in the other component.

2. How does mutual inductance between a coil and a solenoid affect circuit behavior?

Mutual inductance can cause an induced voltage in one circuit to affect the current flow in the other circuit, which can alter the behavior of the overall circuit. This can be both beneficial, such as in transformers, or detrimental, such as in signal interference.

3. What factors affect the mutual inductance between a coil and a solenoid?

The mutual inductance between a coil and a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in each component, the distance between them, the shape and size of the components, and the magnetic permeability of the materials used.

4. How is mutual inductance between a coil and a solenoid calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k * N1 * N2 * A / l, where k is the coupling coefficient, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the coil and solenoid, A is the area of the overlapping region, and l is the length of the solenoid.

5. How can mutual inductance between a coil and a solenoid be controlled?

Mutual inductance can be controlled by adjusting the physical parameters of the components, such as the number of turns or the distance between them. It can also be reduced by using shielding materials or by using circuits that minimize the effects of mutual inductance, such as differential amplifiers.