Can Microsoft VB and Access Integrate with GSM for SMS Notifications?

In summary, a final year Electrical Engineering student is seeking help to build a system that will allow students to receive their final semester results via SMS. The system will use Microsoft Access for its database and Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 as interface. The student's question is whether Microsoft VB and Microsoft Access can be used together with a GSM module to upload data. The answer is yes, but it may be difficult and time-consuming to set up the interface. Another option is to use PHPMailer to send SMS messages to students' phone numbers, which can work with both GSM and non-GSM phones. It is recommended to contact the cell phone service provider for assistance in setting up the system. Attempting to build a circuit to access the cell phone
darkangel204
Hi guys,

I'm a final year Electrical Engineering student need help from you guys. my project is to build a system that will help the student to know their final semester result via sms. it designed using Microsoft Access for its database and Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 as interface.

my question is, is there any chance that Microsoft VB and Microsoft Access can be used together to upload data through GSM ( global system for system communication ) module?

student need help,
darkangel204

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer is yes, but the solution is problematic and you will spend a lot of time making up the interface between the GSM and VB. Good luck with this.

A way that could be done is using PHPMailer, you could set up fields in the db that contain phone number and service provider. Use a PHPMailer script that would send [Semester_Result] to [Phone_Number]@[Service_provider].(net/com/org depends per service provider, look at their websites to see how to do it) on a specific date. I am pretty sure that you can use VB also to look up and send via PHP Mailer or some other web address.

Doing it this way would result in SMS / Text Message which almost any phone can receive, not just GSM enabled phones.

Only problem might be setting up PHPMailer on a Windows machine... I've only ever used Linux for it.

have anyone known where i can get information about gsm project??
or
have someone can help sent me circuit detail for make gsm project??
my email
ewere_bellatok@yahoo.com

Probably the best way is to contact your cell phone service provider and see if there is a cell phone to PC interface that will allow this.
An alternate possibility is e-mailing messages to the cell phone.
Or the phone service provider might provide a net interface you can post text messages to.
MS VB has controls for e-mail and net connection, but you might need to write your own .dll in C to access an interface unless one is provided.

In any event, building your own circuit to attempt to access the cell phone system is going to be highly frowned upon.

1. What is a "Final year project (GSM)"?

A "Final year project (GSM)" refers to a project that is typically required for students in their final year of study in a GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) related field. It is usually an independent research project that allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to a real-world problem or topic in the GSM industry.

2. What are the benefits of completing a "Final year project (GSM)"?

Completing a "Final year project (GSM)" can provide numerous benefits such as enhancing your understanding of GSM technology, developing practical skills, gaining experience in project management and research, and potentially improving your employment prospects.

3. How do I choose a topic for my "Final year project (GSM)"?

It is important to choose a topic that interests you and aligns with your skills and future career goals. You can also consult with your supervisor or other experts in the field to ensure that your topic is relevant and feasible for your project.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a "Final year project (GSM)"?

The duration of a "Final year project (GSM)" can vary depending on the specific requirements of your program and the complexity of your project. However, it is common for these projects to take anywhere from 6 months to a year to complete.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing a "Final year project (GSM)"?

To successfully complete your "Final year project (GSM)", it is important to stay organized, communicate regularly with your supervisor, conduct thorough research, and manage your time effectively. It is also crucial to start early and seek help when needed to ensure that you meet all the requirements and deadlines for your project.