Intermolecular Forces: Dipole-Dipole, London Dispersion, H Bonding

In summary, the strongest intermolecular force is hydrogen bonding, followed by dipole-dipole interactions and then London dispersion. This can be determined by looking at the molecule's polarity and the presence of hydrogen bonded to F, O, or N. Metallic bonds may also contribute to intermolecular forces. The type of intermolecular force present in CHF3 is dipole-dipole. CH3OH exhibits hydrogen bonding as its strongest intermolecular force due to the presence of OH groups. Larger molecules are liquids at higher temperatures due to their lower velocities, not because of stronger intermolecular forces.
magma_saber
what is the strongest intermolecular force, dipole-dipole, london dispersion, or hydrogen bonding.
also, how do you know if a molecule is dipole-dipole, london dispersion, or dydrogen?

Physics news on Phys.org
metallic bonds maybe?

Any book or site will give you a good answer to your question, I'm just going to be short and sweet to the point with some old notes

Typically in intermolecular forces hydrogen bonds are the strongest they range from 10 to 40kjmol^-1. London dispersion or dispersion if you want to call that are the weakest, all molecules have ld. H-bonds are usually hydrogens bonded to F, O, N. Its not an actual bond, just a bridge. For ion-dipole, you get an ion interacting w/ permanent dipoles. Think of acetic acid (CH3COOH). O in CH3COOH has partial - charge, while C, guy below has a partial + charge.

Polarizability is also important b/c it describes electrons shifting. Butane has greater tendencies for induced polarizability than branched chains.

Last edited:
when an acid is dissolved in water it ionizes and thereby adds protons to the water. when a piece of metal is placed into the acidic water the metal atoms ionize and replace the protons which bubble out as hydrogen. presumably therefore they must form a stronger bond with the water than the protons do. what sort of bond do the metal ions form with the water molecules?

Last edited:
what type of intermolecular force is strongest present in CHF3?
-dispersion
-dipole-dipole
-hydrogen bonding
-ion-dipole

Is it dipole-dipole?

Also which compound exhibits hydrogen bonding as its strongest intermolecular force?
CH3OH or CH2F2

is it CH3OH? CH2F2 doesn't have a hydrogen bond does it, since the hydrogens and the fluorines are only bonded with carbon?

Last edited:
well i don't know the answer to your questions but that won't stop me from responding.

hydrogen bonds with carbon with a covalent bond while fluorine bonds ionicly. each fluorine pulls a single electron off the carbon atton. so the carbon atom is surrounded by fluorine atoms whose valance shells are completely filled up. this is similar to the electronic configuration of noble gases. I would assume that is why such carbon compounds have 'nonstick' properties.

obviously you still have ionic intermolecular forces.

I really don't see any reason why hydrogen bonds wouldn't form with the fluorine atoms but I don't really know enough about it to say one way or the other.

btw, you know it only just occurred to me why larger molecules are liquids at higher temperatures. its because larger molecules have lower velocities at any given temperature than smaller molecules. I always thought it was because the intermolecular forces were stronger.

1. What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are attractive or repulsive forces that occur between molecules. They are responsible for the physical properties of substances, such as melting point, boiling point, and viscosity.

2. What is the difference between dipole-dipole, London dispersion, and H bonding forces?

Dipole-dipole forces occur between polar molecules and are caused by the attraction between the positive and negative ends of the molecules. London dispersion forces are present in all molecules and are caused by temporary dipoles that are induced by the movement of electrons. H bonding forces occur when a hydrogen atom is bonded to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine.

3. How do intermolecular forces affect the boiling point of a substance?

The strength of intermolecular forces plays a significant role in determining the boiling point of a substance. The stronger the intermolecular forces, the higher the boiling point, as more energy is required to break the bonds between molecules.

4. Can intermolecular forces be broken?

Yes, intermolecular forces can be broken. They are weaker than intramolecular forces (bonds within a molecule) and can be overcome by adding energy, such as heat or pressure, to the substance.

5. How do intermolecular forces affect the solubility of a substance?

Intermolecular forces play a crucial role in determining whether a substance is soluble or not. Like dissolves like, meaning substances with similar intermolecular forces are more likely to be soluble in one another. For example, polar substances are soluble in other polar substances, while nonpolar substances are soluble in other nonpolar substances.