Which electron configuration is not possible for As? Don't know much about spdf orbit

In summary, the correct quantum numbers (n, l, ml, ms) for an electron of an arsenic atom (Z = 33) in its ground state are 3, 0, 0, -1/2 and 4, 1, 0, 1/2. The options (A) 2, 1, -1, 1/2 and (B) 4, 2, 2, -1/2 are not possible as they represent a 2p and 4d electron, respectively, which are not present in the electron configuration of arsenic in its ground state.
lost_in_phys
11. Which one of the following sets of quantum numbers (n, l, ml, ms) could not possibly describe one electron of an arsenic atom (Z = 33) in its ground state?

(A) 2, 1, -1, 1/2
(B) 4, 2, 2, -1/2
(C) 3, 0, 0, -1/2
(D) 3, 2, -2, 1/2
(E) 4, 1, 0, 1/2

Solution:

Electron configuration for arsenic:
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p3

2, 1, -1, 1/2 represents a 2 p electron, possible.
4, 2, 2, -1/2 represents a 4 d electron, NOT possible for As.
3, 0, 0, -1/2 represents a 3 s electron, possible.
3, 2, -2, 1/2 represents a 3 d electron, possible.
4, 1, 0, 1/2 represents a 4 p electron, possible.

I don't understand why its the second one, I do know that all of the numbers are allowed for n, l, ml, ms, but i don't understand how it changes when the element As comes into play.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org

Does As have electrons on 4d when in ground state?

Oh ok, that's what i didn't understand in quantum numbers, l of 2 indicates a d orbital, but as has no electrons in a d orbital in ground state. thx

lost_in_phys said:
l of 2 indicates a d orbital, but as has no electrons in a d orbital in ground state. thx

Yes it has - but on 3d, not 4d.

Sorry, yea, that's what i meant, thx

1. What is an electron configuration?

An electron configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels or orbitals. It is represented by a series of numbers and letters that indicate the number of electrons in each orbital.

2. How is an electron configuration determined?

The electron configuration of an atom is determined by the number of electrons it has and the rules that govern how electrons fill the available orbitals. The Aufbau principle, Hund's rule, and the Pauli exclusion principle are used to determine the electron configuration.

3. What is the significance of the spdf orbitals in electron configurations?

The spdf orbitals are the four main types of orbitals that make up an atom's energy levels. They are named s, p, d, and f and each can hold a certain number of electrons. The spdf orbitals are important because they determine the shape and energy of an atom's electron cloud.

4. Why is the electron configuration of As important?

The electron configuration of As (arsenic) is important because it helps us understand the chemical and physical properties of this element. It also provides information on how As interacts with other elements and how it forms compounds.

5. Which electron configuration is not possible for As?

The electron configuration of As is not possible in the form of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p3. This is because it violates the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of four quantum numbers. The correct electron configuration for As is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p3.