Understanding the Physical Meaning of Wigner Rotation

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of Wigner rotation, which is similar to how objects on a sphere may have a different position when moved along different paths. In the case of Wigner rotation, it applies to the "space of velocities" or "space of momentums" and is related to the curved nature of this space. While some books on quantum field theory cover Wigner rotation, resources such as Weinberg's book or the Wikipedia page on parallel transport may provide more information.
elec-tric
i have read about wigner rotation but i think i can't understand it well , i want to know the physical meaning of it .

Physics news on Phys.org
no body knows about wigner rotation ?

Welcome to PF!

elec-tric said:
… i want to know the physical meaning of it .

Hi elec-tric! Welcome to PF! :smile:

By "physical meaning", do you mean a geometric one?

If you move something along the surface of a sphere without rotating it, first north then east, its position is at a slight angle to the position it would have if you moved it along the hypotenuse.

Wigner rotation is the same thing in the "space of velocities" (or "space of momentums") … the space is curved, so parallel transport between two "points" depends on the path taken. :wink:

thanx tiny-tim :D , but if you have a site or even a book or a paper about wigner rotation , please send it :D

What is Wigner rotation?

Wigner rotation is a mathematical concept used to understand the transformation of vectors and coordinates in special relativity. It describes the change in orientation of a vector when viewed from different frames of reference.

What is the physical meaning of Wigner rotation?

The physical meaning of Wigner rotation is that it allows us to reconcile the discrepancy between the laws of physics being the same in all inertial frames of reference and the observation that physical quantities such as velocities and forces appear to change when viewed from different frames.

How is Wigner rotation calculated?

Wigner rotation can be calculated using the Wigner rotation matrix, which is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations. The matrix takes into account the relative velocity and angle between the two frames of reference to determine the amount of rotation.

What is the difference between Wigner rotation and Thomas precession?

Wigner rotation and Thomas precession are closely related concepts, but they describe different aspects of the same phenomenon. Wigner rotation deals with the rotation of vectors and coordinates, while Thomas precession deals with the rotation of the spin of a particle.

Why is understanding Wigner rotation important in physics?

Understanding Wigner rotation is important in physics because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of physical quantities in different reference frames, which is crucial in the study of special relativity. It also has applications in areas such as particle physics and cosmology.