Need a lot of help with vector fields/vector operators

In summary, the author is trying to figure out what a "fixed function" is and what a "fixed vector field" is. She is also trying to understand what the difference between a "curl" and a "gradient" is. Finally, she forgot her calculus rules and is trying to figure out what the derivatives of "curl" and "gradient" are.
Blkmage

Homework Statement

http://img818.imageshack.us/f/screenshot20110423at733.png/
http://img856.imageshack.us/f/screenshot20110423at733.png/

If it'll help you guys help me understand this, here are the solutions:
http://img828.imageshack.us/f/screenshot20110423at752.png/

Homework Equations

[tex]\text{curl}\bold{F} = \nabla \times \bold{F}[/tex]
[tex]\text{div}(\bold{F}) = \nabla \cdot \bold{F}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't understand what is meant by a "fixed, but arbitrary function" or a "fixed, but arbitrary vector field." Is a fixed function one that is constant? ie [tex]g(x,y,z) = 2[/tex] Is a fixed vector fixed a constant one, like [tex]\bold{F}(x,y,z) = 2\hat{i} + 3\hat{j} - 5\hat{k}[/tex]?

My problem is that I'm not really understanding the nature of these vector operators. I have the solution and it says:

[tex]\text{curl} \nabla g[/tex] is a constant vector whereas
[tex]\text{curl} \bold{F}[/tex] is a vector field

How is it possible that they are not both vector fields. Same with this:

[tex]\text{div} (\text{curl} \bold{F})[/tex] is a constant scalar whereas
[tex]\text{div} (\bold{v} \times \bold{F})[/tex] is a scalar function...

How are these not both scalar functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
=No, a "fixed" function is just a "given" one- for the purposes of this problem you are talking about a specific ("fixed") function.

For g a scalar function, you can say more than just that "[itex]curl \nabla g[/itex] vis a constant function"- it is a very specific constant!

If g(x,y,z) is a real valued function, then
[tex]\nabla g= \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex].

And so
[tex]curl \nabla g= \nabla\times\nabla g= \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ \frac{\partial }{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\end{array}\right|[/tex]

Now what is that?
(Assuming that g has continuous second derivatives.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OH. I completely forgot my rules. The curl of a gradient is a the zero vector and the divergence of the curl is the scalar 0. Thanks.

Also, for the very last integral, does that not not exist because [tex]d\bold{s}[/tex] denotes a line integral, but since there are two integral symbols, it doesn't mean anything? Or is it because there is not dot product between [tex]\nabla g[/tex] and the differential [tex]d\bold{s}[/tex]?

It should be dS, the differential of surface area, not ds, the differential or arc length.

FAQ: Need a lot of help with vector fields/vector operators

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a vector quantity within a given region of space. It is represented by arrows or lines at different points in space, with the length and direction of each arrow indicating the magnitude and direction of the vector at that point.

2. How do you represent a vector field?

A vector field can be represented mathematically using vector-valued functions or vector equations. It can also be represented visually using diagrams or graphs, with the arrows or lines depicting the vectors at different points in space.

3. What are vector operators?

Vector operators are mathematical tools used to manipulate vector fields. They include the gradient, divergence, curl, and Laplacian operators, which are used to calculate the rate of change, direction of flow, and rotational behavior of a vector field at a given point.

4. How are vector fields used in science?

Vector fields are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in studying the behavior of fluid flows, electric and magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena that can be described by vector quantities.

5. What is the relationship between vector fields and scalar fields?

Vector fields and scalar fields are closely related mathematical concepts. While vector fields describe the behavior of vector quantities, scalar fields describe the behavior of scalar quantities, such as temperature or pressure. Vector fields can be derived from scalar fields using vector operators, and vice versa.

Back