Finding Div and Curl of a Vector Field then evaluating a point

In summary: To do that, you can use the second derivative test or the Hessian matrix.In summary, the question asks to find the divergence and curl of a given vector field, and then evaluate them at a specific point. The calculations are shown and the results are found to be 5 for the divergence and (1, -1, 0) for the curl. The poster also mentions another question about finding the maximum pressure gradient at a given point, and is unsure of how to proceed. They are advised to find the maximum of the gradient vector using the second derivative test or Hessian matrix.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

}[/B]
Find the divergence and curl of the vector field [itex] \vec{V}=x^2y \hat{i} + xy^2 \hat{j} + xyz \hat{k} [/itex] then for both, evaluate them at the point [itex] \bar{r} = (1,1,1)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
div(\vec{F})= \nabla \cdot \vec{F} \\
curl(\vec{F})= \nabla \times\vec{F}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is the first question where I have attempted to actually find the divergence and curl, which I found ok, but just wanted someone to double check my work, so would appreciate a look.

[tex]
div(\vec{V})= \nabla \cdot \vec{V} = \frac{\partial V_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial V_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial V_z}{\partial z} = 2xy + 2xy + xy = 5xy
[/tex]

Then at (1,1,1) it would be 5xy=5(1)(1)=5

Then the curl
[tex]
curl(\vec{V})= \nabla \times\vec{V} = (\frac{\partial V_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial V_y}{\partial z}) \hat{i} - (\frac{\partial V_z}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial V_x}{\partial z}) \hat{j} + (\frac{\partial V_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial V_x}{\partial y})\hat{k} \\
= (xz-0)\hat{i} - (yz-0)\hat{j} + (y^2-y)\hat{k} = xz\hat{i}- yz\hat{j} + (y^2-y)\hat{k}
[/tex]

Then at (1,1,1), it would be [itex] 1\hat{i}-1\hat{j} [/itex] or (1,-1,0)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. The j part of the curl fooled me for a moment as its usually written as + (Vxz - Vzx) j but then I saw the minus sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Looks right to me. The j part fooled me for a moment as its usually written as + (Vxz - Vzx) j but then I saw the minus sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics )
Ah right. Yeah I just did the cross product as I would normally have done with any two vectors, find it easier to remember like that. Thanks for taking a look.

Just wanted to check if I was doing things correctly. there is another question which I am stuck on, not sure whether to make another thread, but it basically asks to find the maximum [pressure] gradient at a certain point that's given; I have found the gradient, i.e. [itex]\nabla P [/itex] but am not sure what to do next. Do I just put the coordinates of the point in, or do I need to first set it to zero and somehow solve it?

Last edited by a moderator:
FaraDazed said:
Ah right. Yeah I just did the cross product as I would normally have done with any two vectors, find it easier to remember like that. Thanks for taking a look.

Just wanted to check if I was doing things correctly. there is another question which I am stuck on, not sure whether to make another thread, but it basically asks to find the maximum [pressure] gradient at a certain point that's given; I have found the gradient, i.e. [itex]\nabla P [/itex] but am not sure what to do next. Do I just put the coordinates of the point in, or do I need to first set it to zero and somehow solve it?

You need to find the maximum of ##|\nabla P|##, the point where the gradient vector has maximum length.

1. What is the purpose of finding the div and curl of a vector field?

The div and curl of a vector field are measures of how the vector field behaves at a given point. The div indicates how much the vectors are spreading out or converging at the point, while the curl measures how much the vectors are rotating around the point. These values are useful in understanding the behavior of the vector field and can be used in various applications such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics.

2. How do you find the div and curl of a vector field?

To find the div and curl of a vector field, you first need to express the vector field as a function of its components. Then, the div can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of each component with respect to its corresponding variable and adding them together. The curl can be found by taking the cross product of the vector field with the unit vectors in each direction and then taking the dot product of the resulting vector with the unit vector in the direction of rotation.

3. What is the significance of evaluating a point in the div and curl calculation?

Evaluating a point in the div and curl calculation allows us to determine the behavior of the vector field at that specific point. This can help in understanding the overall behavior of the vector field and can also be used to identify critical points such as sources, sinks, and vortices.

4. Is it possible for a vector field to have both a non-zero div and a non-zero curl at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for a vector field to have both a non-zero div and a non-zero curl at the same point. This occurs when the vector field is continuously changing in different directions at that point, indicating a complex behavior of the field.

5. How can the div and curl of a vector field be used in practical applications?

The div and curl of a vector field have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in fluid dynamics, the div and curl can be used to understand the flow of fluids and identify regions of circulation and divergence. In electromagnetism, they can be used to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic simulations of fluid and smoke effects.