OPERA neutrino arrivals analysis

In summary, according to the OPERA-CNGS paper, the time of flight for neutrinos detected by the MichelMINOS experiment was determined to have a precision of 10ns. However, the authors dismiss the result because the probability of error was big.
lalbatros
Hello,

I just spent some time reading the recent OPERA-CNGS paper on apparently FTL neutrinos (http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897) .
In this reading, I have some difficulty to clearly see how the arrivals events are processed.
I am not even sure I understood properly basic information like:

- what the "chronometer" start event is
- how many pulses of 10µs where included in the analysis
- how many neutrinos where detected (is that the 16111 event mentioned?)
- how the 200 MHz source intensity oscillations are used/needed in the data processing
- if the rise time of the 10µs proton waveform plays any role in the analysis
- what is meant by "extraction"

I would like to understand more clearly how the data analysis proceeds without keeping the useless technical details. I would like to select the usefull information from this paper, as far as data processing is involved.

My current understanding is that when a 10µs proton pulse is produced, most often no neutrino is detected in Gran Sasso. During this 10µs proton pulse, the proton intensity oscillates about 2000 times between high and low intensity (5ns period). Therefore, a neutrino occasionally detected in Gran Sasso has more probability to have been produced during one of the 2000 high-intensity phases that during any of the 2000 low-intensity phases.
However, I do not see why any of the 2000 high intensity period would have a higher probability, and therefore I also do not understand why the time of flight could be determined with a precision better that 10µs, while the effect being discussed deals with a precision of about 10ns!
I really must have missunderstood something.

How was it possible to measure the time of flight with a 10ns precision, based on theis 10 µs proton pulse?

Thanks for your help.

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
MINOS Experiment too has detected faster than light neutrinos but they have dismissed the result because the probability of error was big .

What is the OPERA neutrino arrivals analysis?

The OPERA (Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus) neutrino arrivals analysis is a scientific experiment that was conducted at the Gran Sasso National Laboratory in Italy between 2008 and 2012. The aim of this experiment was to study the properties of neutrinos, specifically their potential to change from one type to another.

How was the OPERA experiment conducted?

The experiment involved sending a beam of muon neutrinos from the CERN laboratory in Switzerland to the Gran Sasso laboratory in Italy, a distance of 730 kilometers. These neutrinos were detected by a specialized detector at Gran Sasso, which recorded their arrival times and energy levels.

What did the OPERA experiment discover?

The OPERA experiment gained attention in 2011 when it reported that neutrinos were arriving at Gran Sasso 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light. However, this result was later found to be due to a technical error in the experiment. The final results of the experiment showed that neutrinos do have the ability to change from one type to another, confirming previous studies.

How did the OPERA experiment contribute to the scientific community?

The OPERA experiment provided valuable data on the properties of neutrinos, one of the most elusive and mysterious particles in the universe. It also helped to refine our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics and provided insights into the nature of the universe.

What are some potential implications of the OPERA experiment's findings?

The confirmation of neutrino oscillations has opened up new avenues of research in particle physics and astrophysics. It has also raised questions about the possibility of faster-than-light travel and the validity of Einstein's theory of relativity. The results of the OPERA experiment continue to be studied and debated by scientists around the world.