Unique Factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$

In summary, Kummer's work showed that when \zeta is a 23rd root of unity, \mathbb{Z}[\zeta] does not have unique factorization. However, Masley's work from the 1970s showed that for values of n in {1,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,17,19,20,21,24,25,27,28,32,33,35,36,40,44,45,48,60,84}, \mathbb{Z}[w_n] is a unique factorization domain. This result was extended from previous work by Montgomery and Uchida and
Kummer
For what values does [tex]\mathbb{Z}[\zeta][/tex] have unique factorization?

I know Kummer shown that [tex]\zeta[/tex] being a 23-rd root of unity fails to have unique factorization.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then Z[w_n] is a UFD for n in {1,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,17,19,20,21,
24,25,27,28,32,33,35,36,40,44,45,48,60,84} and for no other values of n.
This is a result by Masley from the 1970s, extending earlier work by
Montgomery and Uchida, and using Odlyzko's discriminant bounds.
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/97/UFDs

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody have Introduction to Cyclotomic Extension by Lawrence Washington, I want to see if this is actually true. The site does not look completely reliable. I searched on it on Wikipedia and did not find anything and also on MathWorld.

You can buy Introduction to Cyclotomic Fields new or used from Amazon.com., and you can compair prices on Yahoo shopping.

Last edited:
if w_n means a primitive nth root of 1, i would think n=2 is ok.

Mathwonk: if w_n means a primitive nth root of 1, i would think n=2 is ok.

Now that that has been brought up, I wondered about it also. Trying to look the link given above over very carefully, I gather that w_n is just w subscript n, where n represents the power and w represents the primitative root.

Writer goes on to say that w_3 is the same as w_6, and omits 6 in his list.* Thus multiplication by units +1 and -1 does not count, which is usually the case in factorization. So then the conclusion I gather is that cases such as N=2,6,14 are omitted because they were, to the author, previously eliminated because they do not represent anything new. (The sum of the roots of X^N-1 =0 is itself 0 and so -1 is already present in the smaller ring.)This is consistant with other writers who say N=23 is the first case of failure.

* (Note that Z[w_3] is the same as Z[w_6]; we can assume
from the start that n is either odd or divisible by 4.)

Last edited:
Sloane has http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A005848 (,fini,full,nonn,) as 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 27, 28, 32, 33, 35, 36, 40, 44, 45, 48, 60, 84.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$?

Unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$ is a property that states that every non-zero element in the ring can be expressed as a unique product of irreducible elements. This means that any two factorizations of the same element will have the same irreducible factors, up to units (invertible elements) in the ring.

2. How is unique factorization different in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$ compared to $\mathbb{Z}$?

Unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$ is different from $\mathbb{Z}$ because it involves complex numbers. In $\mathbb{Z}$, unique factorization is guaranteed due to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely expressed as a product of primes. However, in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$, complex numbers introduce new factors and units, making unique factorization more complex.

3. What is the role of $\zeta$ in unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$?

$\zeta$ plays a crucial role in unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$. It is a primitive complex root of unity, meaning that it generates all other complex roots of unity. This property allows $\zeta$ to be factored out of any element in the ring, simplifying factorization and making it unique.

4. Can unique factorization fail in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$?

Yes, unique factorization can fail in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$. This happens when the ring is not a unique factorization domain (UFD). A UFD is a ring where every non-zero element can be uniquely factored into irreducible elements. However, in some cases, there may be irreducible elements that are not unique factors, leading to multiple factorizations of the same element.

5. What are some applications of unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$?

Unique factorization in $\mathbb{Z}[\zeta]$ has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used in the construction of efficient algorithms for integer factorization and in the study of Diophantine equations. In cryptography, unique factorization is used to create public-key encryption systems, such as the RSA algorithm.