Why did they send this email to me?

• Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the Republican National Committee is trying to get people to donate money to support their party in the upcoming election. They are doing this by sending emails asking for donations and offering rewards for those who give. If you make a monthly donation of $25 or more, you will receive a free mousepad.
0TheSwerve0
I received an email that tried to bully me into supporting the Republican party by donating money. They also addressed it to my dad, who is not very supportive of any Republican agendas or stances. Creepy email anyhow. Never been so immediately accosted by such intense propaganda. I don't want to spark debate about this, just a prime example of spam email. Feel free to move it if it needs to be moved.

Here it is:

Dear Ronald ,

Campaigns are a marathon, not a sprint. There are 188 days until Election Day, but right now, thousands of dedicated staff and volunteers nationwide are working around the clock, building our party precinct-by-precinct, day-by-day, moving us closer to victory. Sign Up Today

It's easy to understand the rush of grassroots energy and support when Election Day is just a few days away. But supporting the hard work that's happening TODAY - laying the groundwork for victory and helping retain our majorities is even more important.

Now, we're making it easier than ever for you to support this effort through Grow Our Party Funds.

Grow Our Party Funds are a brand new opportunity to invest in building our party for the long haul through a small, automatic monthly contribution. Whether you can give $50, $25, $10, or even $5, you will ensure that our hardworking organizers on the ground have the support they need whether we are five weeks from election day or five months.

And if you make a Grow Our Party Funds monthly donation of just $25 or more, you'll receive this free "I am Proud Bush is my President" mousepad. With a commitment of $50 or more, you'll get two - one for you and one for a friend.

Since the beginning of political parties in this country, party chairmen have told you that the next election is the most important in your lifetime. Every election can't be the most important. But sometimes we do find ourselves at a crossroads.

In the 1940s, when we first confronted imperial communism, election choices defined how America defended freedom for a generation.

In the 1960s, when we redeemed our Constitution's promise by protecting civil rights, election choices expanded freedom to cover all Americans.

In the 1980s, when we won the cold war, election choices exported freedom to tens of millions across the globe.

This year, we face another momentous choice. Fight and defeat the terrorists, or retreat from the central front in the War on Terror. Live up to our calling as Americans to stand for freedom, or choose Democrats, who have been clear that they will censure and impeach the President if they win back Congress.

Your investment in Grow Our Party Funds today will keep our party fighting for these core principles of freedom long beyond this election. What's the best way to build support for our Party in 2006 and into 2008? You've just found it.

Ken Mehlman
Chairman, Republican National Committee

P.S. The energetic staff and volunteers who are working to win this election on the ground are amazing -- every single one. Support their work with Grow Our Party Funds for $50, $25, or $10, or even $5. And remember: a monthly contribution of $25 will get you this free mousepad, as a symbol of your commitment, and our appreciation.

To Forward This Email To Your Friends And Family, Please Click Here

Republican National Committee | 310 First Street, SE | Washington, DC 20003
p: 202.863.8500 | f: 202.863.8820 | e: info@gop.com

Contributions or gifts to the Republican National Committee are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.
Paid for by the Republican National Committee
Not Authorized By Any Candidate Or Candidate Committee - www.gop.com

Unsubscribe

Copyright 2006 Republican National Committee

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bully? Hardly. Intense propaganda? Not even. I think you have some distorted partisan perceptions. That said, spam mailings asking for donations are assinine, you'd think they'd want to be better than telemarketers at least.

Are you sure it's the republican party that's sending you emails? Are you sure it isn't someone that's trying to make themseleves look like the republicans to steal your money?

scott1 said:
Are you sure it's the republican party that's sending you emails? Are you sure it isn't someone that's trying to make themseleves look like the republicans to steal your money?

could be. The link to the GOP sounded just the same though. Either way would be stealing my money.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I'll tell you why.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2006/05/11/bushs-approval-ratings/

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=665

AAAAAAAHAHAHahahahahaha, 29%. The people have spoken.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I hope they boot him out and not let him finish his term.

As John Mclaughlin says,

BYE BYEEEEE!

It's retarded that the majority of citizens disapprove of his performance, yet we can't get him out of office. What's the point of complaining if it doesn't change anything?

from the second link:

Consistent with last month’s survey findings, women are more likely than men to be pessimistic about the direction of the country.

translation: women are more perceptive and realistic:wink:

0TheSwerve0 said:
It's retarded that the majority of citizens disapprove of his performance, yet we can't get him out of office. What's the point of complaining if it doesn't change anything?

Funny, the Democrats were saying the exact opposite when the people fired and forcibly removed Gray Davis by a recall election. "Oh its bad for the state". "We shouldn't cut him short like that". "The multi-million dollar special election will be so expensive" (compared to davis's multi-billion dollar budget deficit).Any California democrats wanting a way to remove Bush short of impeachment have no credibility. Unless, miraculously, they have a brain and don't just tow the party line.

I think these are just problems inherent in nation-states, so I'm not surprised by people's actions and I don't expect things to run well overall.

It's called a democracy, deal with it. Bush would win again because although a lot of republicans disapprove of his job, it'll be a cold day in hell when some lying democrat politician (oops, one in the same) gets the tick from them.

Think, then speak. In that order.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Think, then speak. In that order.

Didnt i already close you

Pengwuino said:
Didnt i already close you

Ok, think, then spell check, then speak. In that order.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Ok, think, then spell check, then speak. In that order.

cyrus closed

Your comebacks are as lame as Jason's scooter. pfft :rolleyes:

Honestly, I can't say that I agree with your comment that they are bullying you. I get worse from my alma maters to donate money. Don't read too much into it. Do what I do when I see most of those in my mailbox...throw it directly in the trash. If you ever want to donate, do it on your own terms and timetable.

Wait are you sure you didnt have it given to you as a forward?

Forward it to your local DNC campaign manager. It won't do any harm, and it'll be hilarious.

edit: If they actually bother to reply, forward it back to the Republicans!

FredGarvin said:
Honestly, I can't say that I agree with your comment that they are bullying you. I get worse from my alma maters to donate money. Don't read too much into it. Do what I do when I see most of those in my mailbox...throw it directly in the trash. If you ever want to donate, do it on your own terms and timetable.

I just thought it was strange that they sent one to me, but they seem to have meant to send it to my dad, who would definitely not donate money. I guess bullying is the wrong word, but it was confrontational and manipulative. Either I side with them, or I side with the lying democrats who won't take care of terrorism:rolleyes:

Rach3 said:
Forward it to your local DNC campaign manager. It won't do any harm, and it'll be hilarious.

edit: If they actually bother to reply, forward it back to the Republicans!

:biggrin: mayhaps I will.

Pengwuino said:
Wait are you sure you didnt have it given to you as a forward?

direct from kenmehlman@gop.com

franznietzsche said:
Bully? Hardly. Intense propaganda? Not even. I think you have some distorted partisan perceptions. That said, spam mailings asking for donations are assinine, you'd think they'd want to be better than telemarketers at least.

:confused: not sure why you think that about me. Like I said, maybe bully is the wrong word, I guess they're just being fanatical and manipulative (which is a characteristic of many politicians, not just Republicans). How do I have distored partisan perceptions?

0TheSwerve0 said:
direct from kenmehlman@gop.com

Send him a printout of the email in his mail

and some baking powder... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: *whistles*

Pengwuino said:
It's called a democracy, deal with it. Bush would win again because although a lot of republicans disapprove of his job, it'll be a cold day in hell when some lying democrat politician (oops, one in the same) gets the tick from them.

Actually, true democracy exists in other kinds of social systems, like bands, tribes, and "big man" (don't ask) groups. People in these groups achieve leadership. Ours is a stratified society where people are pretty much ascribed high rank by their birth (low class mobility, so not many real achievers present in the upper class) and then we choose from among the ones with highest rank. State societies all have issues like this, no matter what form of government.

0TheSwerve0 said:
:confused: not sure why you think that about me. Like I said, maybe bully is the wrong word, I guess they're just being fanatical and manipulative (which is a characteristic of many politicians, not just Republicans). How do I have distored partisan perceptions?

Your perception of it as 'intense propaganda', and use of the word 'bully'. I inferred (perhaps incorrectly, but that would surprise me) that your description of the partisan statements in the email were relative to your own partisan views--the farther left you are, the milder the things that you percieve as 'intense' right wing 'propaganda'.

Typically you can infer a lot about people from the way they describe things.

Hence my conclusion that your personal bias distorted your perception (which, in the most general terms is a 'duh!' conclusion, but that's not the point).

Fanatical? To some extent. Manipulative? Too broad a term. 'Fear-mongering' (trying to incite fear of a DNC government, and the removal of Bush) does a little better but not much. Sleazy? Definitely. But I'm probably just revealing my own anti-politician and government bias with that last one :rolleyes: .

Nuance of meaning matters. If you didn't mean those particular words, then don't use them. English is a bad enough language already, no need to make accurate communication even more difficult by not bothering to actually say what you mean.

franznietzsche said:
Your perception of it as 'intense propaganda', and use of the word 'bully'. I inferred (perhaps incorrectly, but that would surprise me) that your description of the partisan statements in the email were relative to your own partisan views--the farther left you are, the milder the things that you percieve as 'intense' right wing 'propaganda'.

No, I'd react that way if it was sent by Democrats or anyone else. I'm Independent btw.

franznietzsche said:
Fanatical? To some extent. Manipulative? Too broad a term. 'Fear-mongering' (trying to incite fear of a DNC government, and the removal of Bush) does a little better but not much. Sleazy? Definitely. But I'm probably just revealing my own anti-politician and government bias with that last one :rolleyes: .

However you want to word it, it's crafty and it's not my type:tongue2: I think I don't digest BS as well as most people.
franznietzsche said:
Nuance of meaning matters. If you didn't mean those particular words, then don't use them. English is a bad enough language already, no need to make accurate communication even more difficult by not bothering to actually say what you mean.

A certain amount of subjectivity is involved too. I don't need to say what form the manipulation took (which fear-mongering is), so I don't see how my description was distorted.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have just posted the email without any comments.

1. Why did I receive this email?

There could be several reasons why you received this email. It could be a promotional email from a company you have previously interacted with, a newsletter subscription, or an email from someone you know. Sometimes, emails may also be sent to you by mistake or as part of a larger email list.

2. Who sent this email to me?

The sender of the email should be clearly stated in the email itself. Check the sender's name and email address to determine who sent the email. If you are not familiar with the sender, exercise caution and do not click on any links or open any attachments.

3. Why am I receiving emails from this sender?

If you are receiving multiple emails from a specific sender, it could be because you have subscribed to their mailing list or have previously interacted with them. You may also be receiving spam emails from this sender, in which case you should mark the email as spam and block the sender.

4. Is this email important?

The importance of an email is subjective and depends on the content of the email. If the email is from a sender you know and trust, it could be important. However, if the email is from an unknown sender or appears to be spam, it is best to exercise caution and not interact with the email.

5. What should I do if I receive an email from an unknown sender?

If you receive an email from an unknown sender, do not open any attachments or click on any links in the email. It is best to delete the email and mark it as spam. You can also block the sender to prevent future emails from them. If the email appears to be suspicious or a potential scam, you can report it to your email provider or the appropriate authorities.