Understand Nuclear Scattering - Can Anyone Explain?

In summary, scattering processes, whether neutron or electron, can be used to probe the excitation structure of the nucleus. If the scattered particle has a different energy than expected, it indicates an internal state of the nucleus has been excited. More information on this topic can be found at the provided links.
drcrabs
Im not too clear on how the scattering process may be used to probe the excitaion structure of the nucleus.

Can anyone explain this to me or direct me to somewhere in which i can read about it?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you considering neutron scattering or electron scattering?

In general, scattering can be elastic or inelastic, with an obvious difference. If the scattered neutron has different energy, other than that caused by the recoil of the atom, then it must have excited some internal state of the nucleus.

I am not as familiar with electron scattering, but I do know its been used to elucidate atomic and nucleon structure.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/nuclear/scatele.html#c1
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/nuclear/scatsurv.html#c1

Awesome, Cheers man

1. What is nuclear scattering?

Nuclear scattering is a phenomenon in which particles or radiation are deflected or scattered when they interact with the nuclei of atoms. This can occur when a particle or radiation beam passes through a material, such as a solid, liquid, or gas.

2. How does nuclear scattering work?

Nuclear scattering occurs due to the electromagnetic forces between the particles and the nuclei of atoms. When a particle or radiation beam approaches an atom, it may be attracted or repelled by the electric charge of the nucleus, causing it to change direction or lose energy.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering is a type of nuclear scattering in which the particles or radiation do not lose any energy during the interaction and their trajectories are only deflected. Inelastic scattering, on the other hand, involves a transfer of energy between the particles or radiation and the nuclei, resulting in a change in their trajectories.

4. What are some examples of nuclear scattering in everyday life?

Nuclear scattering is a fundamental process that occurs in various natural and man-made phenomena. It can be observed in the scattering of sunlight by the Earth's atmosphere, the deflection of charged particles in a particle accelerator, and the formation of rainbows. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as X-ray scattering and positron emission tomography (PET).

5. How is nuclear scattering used in nuclear physics research?

Nuclear scattering is a valuable tool for studying the properties of atomic nuclei. By analyzing how particles or radiation are scattered by nuclei, scientists can obtain information about the size, shape, and internal structure of nuclei. This helps in understanding the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of matter at the atomic level.