What can I do if my published papers were rejected without being reviewed?

In summary: I am sorry to say that it is the situation we have. I prefer not to complain about my advisor to the university, because at the final stage the bad side of it will be mine. Anyway, do you think it is wise to restart individually and again try submitting papers? Or, I should find someone who can tell me where I have gone wrong.Surely you can see why we have trouble understanding that you can't though. You don't get to hold the position of professor without any knowledge of how publishing works, and most professors are very well aware that they cannot allow something with their name on it to be submitted without at least reading it at first. This to me sounds like more of an intimidation issue that
saray1360
About a month ago, I got my masters in physics (condensed matter). I worked really hard for about a year and half on the subject of sumulating the semiconductor nanostructure properties with different simulating codes which applied density functional theory approach.

I prepared two papers on the subject of electronic, mechnical and optical properties of different nanostructures and submitted them to journals with impact factor of 1.9. But they were not even refereed ... :(

From the time I got this result, I am freezed. I have not even dared to go through reading the papers again, editing them and try sending them for other journals. VERY desperate!

Unfortunately, I can not ask my advisor to help me, because truly speaking, he is only professonal in submitting the papers without even reading them or knowing what the subject is.

I really need someone who has the experience of publishing papers in this field to guide me what to do. Or even introduce me a new subject to start working hard on it. I REALLY need to work on what I have learned and continue learing new details on it and I REALLY need publishing papers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you can't ask your advisor for assistance. Surely, he knows how to get papers published, and the conditions that one must satisfy in order to get a paper through peer review (or even through the editor).

Anyway, the first thing you should do is read the reasons the editors gave you for not accepting your paper. It may have just not been relevant for their journal.

cristo said:
I don't understand why you can't ask your advisor for assistance. Surely, he knows how to get papers published, and the conditions that one must satisfy in order to get a paper through peer review (or even through the editor).

Anyway, the first thing you should do is read the reasons the editors gave you for not accepting your paper. It may have just not been relevant for their journal.

Unfortunately, as I said, my advisor does not have the relevant knowledge of getting the papers published. He does not even read the paper!

My paper was rejected without receiving any reason from the editors. Should I ask them to send me their reasons?

How can your advisor have no knowledge of getting published: he is a professor, right? If not, you should complain to your university since you should have an advisor who can help you in these matters.

cristo said:
How can your advisor have no knowledge of getting published: he is a professor, right? If not, you should complain to your university since you should have an advisor who can help you in these matters.

I am sorry to say that it is the situation we have. I prefer not to complain about my advisor to the university, because at the final stage the bad side of it will be mine.

Anyway, do you think it is wise to restart individually and again try submitting papers? Or, I should find someone who can tell me where I have gone wrong.

Surely you can see why we have trouble understanding that you can't though. You don't get to hold the position of professor without any knowledge of how publishing works, and most professors are very well aware that they cannot allow something with their name on it to be submitted without at least reading it at first. This to me sounds like more of an intimidation issue that needs to be resolved.

However, so let's say that you can't approach your supervisor. You have other options. Is there anyone else's name on the paper? Perhaps you can approach someone on your supervisory committee for some feedback. Or perhaps you could speak with another grad student. You also have to consider the reason for rejection. One of the most common reasons is because the content was not suitable for that particular journal. Also from your post, it seems that English is not your first language - sometimes journals will reject a manuscript of the language needs work.

You have to know precisely what the problem is before it can be fixed.

What is the process for publishing a paper?

The process for publishing a paper typically involves several steps. First, you will need to choose a journal or publication that is a good fit for your research topic. Then, you will need to follow the specific submission guidelines for that publication, which may include formatting, word count, and referencing requirements. Once you have submitted your paper, it will go through a peer-review process where experts in your field will evaluate the quality and validity of your research. If your paper is accepted, you may be asked to make revisions before it is officially published.

How long does it take to publish a paper?

The timeline for publishing a paper can vary greatly depending on the publication and the peer-review process. On average, it can take 3-6 months for a paper to go through the review process and be accepted for publication. However, it is not uncommon for this process to take longer, especially if revisions are required. It is important to carefully consider the submission deadlines and expected timeline for a publication before choosing to submit your paper.

What are the requirements for publishing a paper?

The requirements for publishing a paper may differ depending on the publication, but there are some general guidelines that most journals and publications follow. These may include originality of the research, relevance to the field, quality of writing, and adherence to formatting and referencing guidelines. It is important to carefully review the submission requirements for each publication to ensure that your paper meets all necessary criteria.

Do I need to have a specific degree or credentials to publish a paper?

No, you do not necessarily need a specific degree or credentials to publish a paper. However, most journals and publications require that the author has expertise and experience in the field of study being presented in the paper. This could come from a variety of sources, such as previous research or work experience. Additionally, some publications may require the author to have a certain level of education or be affiliated with an academic institution.

What are the benefits of publishing a paper?

Publishing a paper can have many benefits, both personally and professionally. It allows you to share your research and findings with the scientific community, contributing to the advancement of knowledge in your field. It can also help to establish your expertise and credibility in your area of study. Additionally, publishing papers can lead to collaborations and networking opportunities with other researchers. Finally, it can also enhance your resume and academic profile, potentially leading to career opportunities or funding for future research projects.