Solving for a Vector - Resultant Known

In summary, Math4life is trying to solve a maths problem involving an airliner and the wind, but is getting stuck on the formula transposition. He has attempted to solve the problem by writing Rx=Vx+Wx and Ry=Vy+Wy. He has found the angle of the wind vector from the x-axis and the magnitude of the wind vector.
math4life

Homework Statement

An airliner is flying in the direction North 20 degrees East with an airspeed of 300mph. Its ground speed and true course are 350mph and 30 degrees respectively(RESULTANT). Use a vector analysis to determine the direction and speed of the wind. Include a diagram.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

350mph/30 is the resultant/true course

I setup x components and y components to add below:
x:
300cos(70)+wind[cos(theta)]
y:
and 300sin(70)+wind[sin(theta)]

I don't know how to substitute properly to solve for the two variables theta and wind - which is the mph speed of the wind which is the second vector and not the resultant. Please help this is due tomorrow morning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your angle for the panes airspeed and direction. Also what is each component equal to?

I have no idea what I did wrong- please let me know. I don't know what each angle is equal to either.

The angles are fine I was having a mad moment. The sum of the components of the wind and the aeroplane will be equal to the component of the resultant vector which you have been given.

Does this help you any more?

I reply to Math4life post as a test of my own understanding. I am not a teacher nor am I experienced at explaining or solving maths problems. Below is my response anyway.

The wording of the maths problem was

An airliner is flying in the direction North 20 degrees East with an airspeed of 300mph. Its ground speed and true course are 350mph and 30 degrees respectively(RESULTANT). Use a vector analysis to determine the direction and speed of the wind. Include a diagram.

First, there is a need to change some terms used.

Instead of the term "airspeed " ......I will use the term air velocity.
Instead of the term "ground speed and true course" I will use the term ground velocity.
Instead of the term "wind speed and direction" ...I will use the term wind velocity.

Math4life stated his problem as:

350mph/30 is the resultant/true course

I setup x components and y components to add below:
x:
300cos(70)+wind[cos(theta)]
y:
and 300sin(70)+wind[sin(theta)]

I don't know how to substitute properly to solve for the two variables theta and wind - which is the mph speed of the wind which is the second vector and not the resultant. Please help this is due tomorrow morning.

I made an attempt at getting a solution to this maths problem and it seems Math4life got stuck on formula transposition
(sorry, the proper name for the process escapes me at this point.)

Basically Math4life wrote Rx=Vx+Wx and Ry=Vy+Wy.
(R=ground velocity, V=planes air velocity, W=Wind Velocity, x = x-axis component of)

The unknown vector value W should be on its own. So, subtracting the
x-component or y-component of V from both sides of the equals sign
would be more useful. Math4life would be better off writing
Rx - Vx = Wx and Ry - Vy= Wy.

The angle of the wind velocity can be evaluated as
the reverse tan of (y-component / x-component).
Math4life would have given this angle the label 'theta'.
This gives tha angle of the wind vector from the the x-axis.
The format of the angle will need to be change to N/S degrees E/W form.

The x- and y- components can be put together and the vector magnitude
can be evaluated by W = [tex]\sqrt{(Wx^{2}+Wy^{2})}[/tex].

Please let me know of any errors and suggestions of better formating.

FAQ: Solving for a Vector - Resultant Known

1. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector when the resultant is known?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem by squaring the x and y components of the vector, then taking the square root of the sum. To find the direction, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between the vector and the positive x-axis.

2. Can you solve for a vector when the resultant is known with only one other vector?

Yes, you can solve for a vector when the resultant is known with only one other vector. This can be done by using the Law of Cosines to find the magnitude of the vector, and then using the Law of Sines to find the direction.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include displacement and velocity.

4. How can you represent a vector graphically?

A vector can be represented graphically using an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

5. Can you add or subtract vectors with different dimensions?

No, vectors can only be added or subtracted if they have the same dimensions. This means that they must have the same number of components and the same units. Otherwise, the resulting vector would not accurately represent the physical situation.