Total work of a directional wind on a mailman

In summary, Mike the Mailman takes his oath seriously and delivers the mail even in a blizzard. His route consists of four stages, with the wind pushing him with a force of 130 Newtons at a 36-degree angle. The total work done by the wind on Mike is 22.6 * 10^3 J. His displacement from his original position is 96.285 meters, and the net work done on him is 12.5 * 10^3 J.
ac7597
Homework Statement
Mike the Mailman takes his oath seriously: "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". Even though a blizzard is raging outside, he goes out to deliver the mail.

He makes four stages along his route:

First, he walks 40 meters North.

Next, he walks 53 meters East.

Then, he walks 42 meters at an angle of 30 degrees South of East.

Finally, he walks 80 meters at an angle of 10 degrees West of South.

The entire time he is outside, the wind pushes him with a force of 130 Newtons at at 36 degrees South of East,

How much work does the wind do to Mike over the course of his deliveries?

What is Mike's displacement from his original position? Express your answer in terms of vector components:
Relevant Equations
net work= force(distance)cos(theta)
Homework Statement: Mike the Mailman takes his oath seriously: "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". Even though a blizzard is raging outside, he goes out to deliver the mail.

He makes four stages along his route:

First, he walks 40 meters North.

Next, he walks 53 meters East.

Then, he walks 42 meters at an angle of 30 degrees South of East.

Finally, he walks 80 meters at an angle of 10 degrees West of South.

The entire time he is outside, the wind pushes him with a force of 130 Newtons at at 36 degrees South of East,

How much work does the wind do to Mike over the course of his deliveries?

What is Mike's displacement from his original position? Express your answer in terms of vector components:
Homework Equations: net work= force(distance)cos(theta)

I initially tried to substitute distance=40+53+42+80. Force=130N and theta=36degree. The total work=(130N)(215m)cos(36)=22.6 * (10^3) J.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the mailman adds one more leg to his trip and walks the shortest route back to his starting point. Would you expect the total work done by the wind on the mailman to be zero at that point?

Likes Delta2
distance is the displacement from the starting point to end point. I got the vector components as 75.5i-59.8j. The displacement is (75.5^2 + 59.8^2)^(1/2)=96.285. This gives net work=130N(96.285m)cos(36)=10.1E3 J.

10.1E3 J is wrong. I don't know why.

ac7597 said:
10.1E3 J is wrong. I don't know why.
Assuming that the total displacement vector is ##75.5i-59.8j## (haven't checked that sorry), you need to find the angle ##\phi## that this vector makes with the vector of wind. Then the work will be ##130\sqrt{75.5^2+59.8^2}\cos\phi##.

(105.17i-76.4j) is the vector component of 130N. Thus (75.5i−59.8j)*(105.17i-76.4j)=|130||96.285|cosϕ.
ϕ=2.17deg. Thus 130N(96.285m)cos(2.17)=12.5E3 J. This is correct thanks.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the total work of a directional wind on a mailman?

The total work of a directional wind on a mailman refers to the amount of energy expended by the wind on the mailman as he delivers mail in a particular direction.

2. How is the total work of a directional wind on a mailman calculated?

The total work is calculated by multiplying the force of the wind by the distance traveled by the mailman in the direction of the wind. This is known as the dot product of force and displacement.

3. Does the direction of the wind affect the total work on a mailman?

Yes, the direction of the wind does affect the total work on a mailman. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the mailman's movement, it will decrease the amount of work needed. However, if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it will increase the amount of work needed.

4. What units are used to measure the total work of a directional wind on a mailman?

The total work is typically measured in joules (J) or newton-meters (N*m), which are both units of energy.

5. How can the total work of a directional wind on a mailman be minimized?

The total work can be minimized by choosing a route that is sheltered from the wind or by adjusting the speed and direction of the mailman's movement to compensate for the wind's force.