Solving Vibrations and Waves: Mass, Spring Constant, Energy, Speed

In summary, the first problem involves a 5 kg mass attached to a spring with a spring constant of 13 N/cm and pulled back 20 cm before being released, resulting in a total energy of 26 joules. The second problem involves a 15 kg mass attached to a spring with a spring constant of 20 N/cm and pulled back 5 cm. The speed of the mass at this point is approximately 2.2 m/s.
Elvis
1) A 5 kg mass, m, rests on a frictionless, horizontal, wooden table top, and is attached to one end of a spring anchored at its other end . If the spring has a spring constant=13 N/cm and the mass is pulled back (in the positive direction ) 20 cm and released, to the nearest tenth of a joule, what is its total energy?
2) if the mass is 15 kg and the spring constant is 20 N/cm, to the nearest tenth of a m/s, what is its speed at x= 5 cm?

I have solved the 1st one :

1N/cm=100N/m

E = PE + KE
E = 1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2 At KE v=0 because the mass stops momentarily as it changes directions. Then :

E = PE
E = 1/2kA^2
E = 1/2(13*100)*(0.2)^2
E = 26J

I have problem with the second problem. please help to solve this. I have 2 hours that I am tryin to solve it . I have only the answer that is 2.2m/s.

Please help......

:cry: Lol...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring is still pulled back 20 cm in part (b). Can you find how much energy is stored in it at the moment of release when v = 0?

I would first like to commend you for putting in effort and attempting to solve the problem on your own. This shows your dedication and determination to understand the concepts of vibrations and waves.

To solve the second problem, we can use the same formula for total energy, E = 1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2, but this time we need to find the speed, v, at a specific position, x = 5 cm.

Using the given values, we can rewrite the formula as:

E = 1/2(20*100)*(0.05)^2 + 1/2(15)(v)^2

We know that at x = 5 cm, the potential energy is equal to the total energy, so we can set E = 26 J (from the first problem). This gives us:

26 J = 1/2(20*100)*(0.05)^2 + 1/2(15)(v)^2

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(2(26-10))/15 ≈ 2.2 m/s

Therefore, at x = 5 cm, the speed of the mass is approximately 2.2 m/s.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the formula for calculating the period of a mass-spring system?

The period of a mass-spring system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

2. How does changing the mass affect the period of a mass-spring system?

Increasing the mass of the object will result in a longer period, as there is more inertia to overcome. Conversely, decreasing the mass will result in a shorter period.

3. How does changing the spring constant affect the period of a mass-spring system?

Increasing the spring constant will result in a shorter period, as the spring will be stiffer and able to return to its equilibrium position more quickly. Decreasing the spring constant will result in a longer period.

4. How is the energy of a mass-spring system related to its amplitude?

The energy of a mass-spring system is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy also increases.

5. How does the speed of a mass-spring system change as it oscillates?

The speed of a mass-spring system is constantly changing as it oscillates. At the equilibrium point, the speed is zero. As the object moves away from equilibrium, its speed increases until it reaches maximum speed at the amplitude. As it returns to equilibrium, the speed decreases back to zero.