Bird sitting on a branch (vibrations and waves question)

In summary, the bird oscillates up and down about once per second. Once it comes to rest, the tip of the branch will be below its equilibrium position. The net force is in the y direction and is approximately tan theta. The spring formula can be used to find the period.
Odyssey

Homework Statement

A bird lands near the tip of a branch and it is observed that initially it oscillates up and down, about once per second. Estimate how far the tip of the branch will be below its equilibrium position once the bird comes to rest.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law
Hooke's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble starting the question, and I guess that's drawing the free-body diagram of the bird.
I think the net force is in the y direction where F = T sin theta, where theta = arctan of y over L, y = vertical displacement from equilibrium and L is the length of the branch.

sin theta under small displacement is approximately tan theta which equals y/L.

This is the farthest I went. I guess it's still a long way to finding the position below equilibrium...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the spring formula for the period:

[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/tex]

Assuming the elasticity of the branch to be Y, we can say y=f*l/dl*A, where dl is the increase in length. The restoring force will be f=Y*A*dl/l. Now dl will vary with x, ie, dl=f'(x)dx as the branch is bending downwards.

At the same time, the weight of the branch opposes the restoring force and so does the weight of the bird. Therefore, if we assume the linear mass density of the branch to be constant, then if the total mass of the branch is M, then the mass of a small element dx at a distance x from the origin (which is at the point where the branch is connected to the tree), given by dm will be dm=M/L*dx.

Therefore, if you find the net torque acting on the branch about the origin due to the weight of the bird + branch and set it equal to the net torque due to the restoring force, you should have your answer. If you find the force using general expressions before the equilibrium is achieved, I think you should get an equation of SHM, but that is not required. Nice question.

Heh, thanks for the help! I got it! :)

1. How does a bird sitting on a branch create vibrations and waves?

When a bird lands on a branch, its weight causes the branch to bend slightly. As the branch bends, it creates a disturbance in the air molecules around it, which creates vibrations. These vibrations travel through the branch and into the trunk of the tree, creating waves that can be felt and heard by nearby objects and animals.

2. What causes the vibrations and waves to stop when the bird flies away?

When the bird takes off from the branch, the force of its wings pushing against the air causes the branch to stop bending and return to its original position. This stops the vibrations and waves from continuing to travel through the branch and tree.

3. Can other animals sense the vibrations and waves caused by a bird sitting on a branch?

Yes, other animals such as insects, small mammals, and even humans can sense the vibrations and waves caused by a bird sitting on a branch. However, their sensitivity to these vibrations may vary depending on their size and proximity to the branch.

4. Do different types of birds create different vibrations and waves when sitting on a branch?

Yes, different types of birds can create different vibrations and waves when sitting on a branch. This is because the weight and size of the bird, as well as the type of branch and tree it is sitting on, can all affect the intensity and frequency of the vibrations and waves.

5. Can the vibrations and waves from a bird sitting on a branch be harmful to the tree?

In most cases, the vibrations and waves caused by a bird sitting on a branch are not harmful to the tree. However, if the bird is particularly large or the branch is weak or diseased, the repeated bending and flexing may eventually cause damage to the branch or tree over time.