Pair Production and Momentum Transfer in Photon Interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pair production, where a photon can create an electron and a positron. The book explains that this is only possible if there is something else present to take away some of the photon's momentum, but it does not specify how the nucleus does this. There are several Feynman diagrams that describe this process, all involving photon absorption and emission by the nucleus. These diagrams also show the interactions between the leptons and the nucleus, with the photon transmitting the necessary momentum and energy. The conversation also confirms that the nuclear recoil is negligible in this process. The conversation ends with a question about whether this process can occur in empty space and if a nearby nucleus is necessary to prevent the particles from annihilating each
jk4
I read about "pair production" how a photon can create and electron and a positron. I read the calculations and I understand how this is impossible unless something else (a nucleus) is present to take away some of the initial photon momentum, however, the book doesn't say exactly 'how' the nucleus takes away the photons momentum. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
My best guess would be that momentum is transferred during a collision process- the nucleus gains momentum at the photon's expense. But that is only a semi-educated guess. Anyone?

jk4 said:
I read about "pair production" how a photon can create and electron and a positron. I read the calculations and I understand how this is impossible unless something else (a nucleus) is present to take away some of the initial photon momentum, however, the book doesn't say exactly 'how' the nucleus takes away the photons momentum. Any help?

I think that's right muppet. But the photon momentum is so small compared to the nucleus mass that the nucleus barely moves in the collision - like an asteriod hitting the earth.

Several things happen, and are described by individual Feynman diagrams, four in fact to lowest order in the electron's charge, e.. They all involve photon absorption and emission by the nucleus. You can find these diagrams in many texts. There are two, which represent absorption of the photon by the nucleus followed by emission of another photon that turns into a pair. Also, there is the same diagram with absorption second and emission first.

Then, the electron-nucleus and positron nucleus interactions involve single photon exchange between the leptons and the nucleus. The photon(s) interacting with the nucleus transmit the momentum and energy needed to make the production process go.- true for all diagrams.

And yes, with a photon energy considerably less than the nuclear mass, the nuclear recoil is negligible.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

ok, so then this process can occur in empty space? However, they quickly annihilate one another again? But in order to prevent them from annihilating each other you must have a nearby nucleus?

Is that all correct?

1. What is pair production?

Pair production is a process in which a subatomic particle, such as a photon, produces a pair of particles with opposite charges, such as an electron and a positron.

2. How does pair production occur?

Pair production occurs when a high-energy photon interacts with the electric field of an atomic nucleus, resulting in the conversion of the photon's energy into the mass of the particle-antiparticle pair.

3. What is the role of momentum in pair production?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in pair production, as it is conserved during the process. This means that the total momentum of the initial photon must equal the total momentum of the resulting particles.

4. Can pair production occur in a vacuum?

Yes, pair production can occur in a vacuum as long as there is enough energy available for the process to take place. This is because the electric field of an atomic nucleus is still present in a vacuum.

5. What is the significance of pair production in particle physics?

Pair production is important in particle physics as it provides evidence for the existence of particles with mass, such as electrons and positrons. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles and the fundamental forces of nature.