The property of impenetrability

• Thread starter xavier_r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, impenetrability is a quality of matter where two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time. It was argued by philosopher John Toland that this, along with extension, is enough to define matter. However, this was debated by Gottfried Wilhelm Von Leibniz. There is a lack of discussion on impenetrability for particles and those interested in this subject can refer to the quantum physics forum for more information. Personal theories should not be posted in the main forums, but there is an Independent Research forum where they can be shared. Additionally, it should be noted that metaphysics is not the same as physics. One possible resource for further reading on this topic is a SpringerLink article that may be available
xavier_r
From wikipedia:
In metaphysics, impenetrability is the name given to that quality of matter whereby two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time. The philosopher John Toland argued that impenetrability and extension were sufficient to define matter, a contention strongly disputed by Gottfried Wilhelm Von Leibniz.

Has impenetrability been studied for particles?
Can anyone please give me some links on this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
woa... no replies...

You might want to post this in the quantum physics forum instead, although some people might be turned off by the philosophical implications of this.

Defennder said:
You might want to post this in the quantum physics forum instead, although some people might be turned off by the philosophical implications of this.

Where should I post it if I have some theories of my own?

xavier_r said:
Where should I post it if I have some theories of my own?
Personal theories are not to be posted in the main forums. However, we do have an Independent Research forum where you may submit your work if it meets our https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82301.

Please refer to the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" for a full explanation of our rules; note especially the section on "Overly Speculative Posts".

Last edited by a moderator:
Note also that metaphysics isn't physics.

Thanks DOC AI...

Russ, yea i know the difference ;)
I have some thoughts on impenetrability but they are more into physics than metaphysics... I am preparing a paper of that and hope to get some opinions on that from PF...

Hi,

I apologize for my ignorance in this matter, but looking in the net I found this article. If you are student in some University I am pretty sure you could get it for free. Maybe this link could help you:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/bj00v2m9lrv4an2d/

Best.

1. What is the property of impenetrability?

The property of impenetrability is a physical property that describes the inability of two objects to occupy the same space at the same time. It is a fundamental principle in the study of matter and is a key aspect of the laws of physics.

2. How is the property of impenetrability different from the property of density?

The property of impenetrability refers specifically to the inability of two objects to occupy the same space, while the property of density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. While both properties are related to the physical properties of matter, they are distinct from one another.

3. What are some examples of the property of impenetrability in everyday life?

Some common examples of the property of impenetrability include objects colliding and bouncing off of one another, the ability to sit on a chair without falling through it, and the inability to physically pass through a wall or solid object.

4. How does the property of impenetrability relate to the concept of conservation of mass?

The property of impenetrability is closely related to the concept of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that even when objects collide or combine, their combined mass remains the same, as the individual particles cannot occupy the same space.

5. Can the property of impenetrability be violated or broken?

No, the property of impenetrability is a fundamental principle of the laws of physics and cannot be violated or broken. It is a universal property that applies to all matter and is essential for understanding the physical world around us.