KNO3 Sugar rocket propellant and safety

In summary, the person is new to building large candy rockets and wants to reach an altitude of over 40,000ft. They are concerned about safety and seeking advice on casting 200 pounds of propellant. They have read about candy rockets and have some experience with small rockets, but are looking for more experience and suggestions. They are also planning to join a model rocketry club for face-to-face mentoring and supervision.
ebanfa
Hi,
I am new to building large candy rockets, and I have a target of building a candy rocket that can reach an altitude of over 40,000ft. I am mostly concerned with the safety when casting such propellants. I am looking at casting over 200 pounds of propellant. Any one got any advice. I have read a lot on candy rockets (e.g. www.nakka-rocketry.net) and built some small rockets and I want go for the big one but experience makes the difference and experience in building such rockets I don't have.
I would appreciate any suggestion/advice. I love rocketry but I also love my body parts too.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you haven't done so already, join a model rocketry club. Most clubs are very safety conscious. Face-to-face mentoring and supervision is much superior to asking strangers on the Internet.

1. What is KNO3 sugar rocket propellant?

KNO3 sugar rocket propellant is a mixture of potassium nitrate (KNO3) and sugar, typically sucrose or dextrose. This mixture is commonly used in amateur rocketry due to its availability and relatively low cost.

2. How does KNO3 sugar rocket propellant work?

When ignited, the sugar in the propellant reacts with the potassium nitrate, producing a large amount of hot gas. This gas is what creates the thrust needed to propel the rocket.

3. Is KNO3 sugar rocket propellant safe to handle?

While KNO3 sugar rocket propellant is generally considered safe when handled properly, it can still be dangerous if mishandled. The potassium nitrate can be irritating to the skin, and the sugar and potassium nitrate mixture can be flammable. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling this propellant.

4. Are there any precautions I should take when using KNO3 sugar rocket propellant?

Yes, there are several precautions that should be taken when using KNO3 sugar rocket propellant. These include wearing protective gear such as gloves and eye protection, having a fire extinguisher nearby, and making sure the propellant is properly mixed and free of any contaminants.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions on using KNO3 sugar rocket propellant?

Yes, there may be regulations and restrictions on using KNO3 sugar rocket propellant depending on your location. It is important to check with local authorities and follow all laws and regulations regarding the use of this propellant. Additionally, it is important to use this propellant safely and responsibly to prevent any accidents or injuries.