Ball twirling on string attached to stick

In summary, the rotating ball is an example of what is commonly called a conical pendulum. The tension in the string balances out the weight of the mass M, so T=Mg.
Melchoire
So we did this little experiment; we attached a tennis ball to a string which ran through a tube and to a plastic bag with 3 tennis balls. Here's a picture

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6160/twirls.jpg

So in a nutshell we can represent Mg like this:
[tex]Mg = (m*4pi^2*R)/(T^2)[/tex]
lol i tried my best with the latex stuff...

anyways in the image the ball is perfectly perpendicular to the tube. But in our experiment it was moved downwards somewhat due to gravity on the ball, with an angle. However I am told that this has no bearing on the results of the formula. That is the formula works even though it's spinning around on an angle.

My problem is: How do I prove this?

PS: this problem won't matter at all but M = 3m

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The rotating ball is an example of what is commonly called a conical pendulum (the string traces out a conical surface). Now, let us suppose that the string makes and angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the horizontal. In this case, the tension will no longer be acting parallel to the radius of the circle transcribed by the ball. Instead, it will be acting towards the pivot, which in this case is the top of the tube. So, what we need to do is look at the components of the tension. If T is the magnitude of the tension in the string, then the components of the tension will be given by

[tex]T_x = T\cos\theta\;\;\;,\;\;\;T_y = T\sin\theta[/tex]

Now, what can you say about Tx and Ty, bearing in mind that the tennis ball transcribes a circle in the (x,z) plane and remains at constant height, y, throughout it's motion?

So the vector sum of Ty and Tx is equal to T?

Melchoire said:
So the vector sum of Ty and Tx is equal to T?

Like Hootenanny said, Tx=Tcosθ and Ty=sinθ.

Now considering the horizontal component Tx, since it is spinning in a circle, Tx provides the centripetal force so Tcosθ = ?

Now the vertical tension,T, in the string balances out the weight of the mass M, to T equals what now ?

3m? I'm not good at this...=P

Melchoire said:
3m? I'm not good at this...=P

no no

you know what is the centripetal force right? If you do then, what is the formula for centripetal force?

in the Tension-mass system (the part with the string in the tube and the mass M), I don't believe the mass M is moving up or down, so the tension T should balance out the mass M right? So what is T equal to here?

I don't know dude...I figure if they balance then the tension force should be equal to Mg...

Melchoire said:
I don't know dude...I figure if they balance then the tension force should be equal to Mg...

Right! So T=Mg.

Since it looks like you don't know centripetal force =mω2R

so if Tcosθ= mω2R.

What is Mg equal to ?

Mg = mω2R?
what's that w symbol?

Melchoire said:
Mg = mω2R?
what's that w symbol?

ω is called the angular velocity. Which for a circle is ω=2π/T where T=time period.

so we have

[tex]Mg= \frac{m \omega ^2 R}{cos \theta}[/tex]

Now θ should be small. And what is cosθ approximately equal to for very small angles of θ?

So cos([tex]theta[/tex]) = Mg?

No, for small angles cos(theta) is approximately 1. Therefore your formula becomes Mg=m(w^2)R. That's your proof since this formula is the same as for the original case with no "dipping" of the tennis ball.

1. How does a ball twirl on a string attached to a stick?

The ball twirls on a string attached to a stick due to the combination of rotational and centripetal forces. When the stick is moved in a circular motion, the ball's inertia causes it to resist this change in direction, resulting in a circular path. The string acts as the centripetal force, keeping the ball from flying off in a straight line.

2. What factors affect the speed of the ball twirling on the string?

The speed of the ball twirling on the string can be affected by the length of the string, the weight of the ball, and the force applied to the stick. A longer string will result in a slower speed, while a heavier ball and a stronger force will increase the speed.

3. Why does the ball move towards the stick when the string is released?

When the string is released, the force keeping the ball in a circular motion is suddenly removed. This causes the ball to continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle, resulting in it moving towards the stick.

4. How does gravity play a role in the ball twirling on the string?

Gravity plays a major role in the ball twirling on the string. It is the force that pulls the ball towards the ground, causing it to follow a circular path around the stick. Without the force of gravity, the ball would not have a downward force acting on it and would not be able to twirl on the string.

5. Can the direction of the ball's movement be changed while twirling on the string?

Yes, the direction of the ball's movement can be changed while twirling on the string. By changing the direction or speed of the stick's motion, the ball will change direction accordingly. Additionally, the angle of the string can also be adjusted to change the direction of the ball's movement.