Traveling through a magnetic field

In summary, there is theoretical speculation about what would happen if something with mass traveled at the speed of light through a magnetic field. It is possible that time dilation would occur, but it is unclear if there would be any other effects such as space or dimension dilation. If the mass is charged, it would likely perform circular motion and potentially create a gravitational field due to the energy of the magnetic field. However, there is no concrete answer and further discussion or research is needed.
snakeeyes3883
does anyone have any idea what would happen if something with mass traveling at the speed of light, traveled through a magnetic field?

i understand that the time diolation may still accur, but would there be anything else happen? like mabye a space diolation or, mabye even a dimension diolation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How can something with mass travel at the speed of light?
secondly specify if the mass is a magnetic material or if its charged ...
btw what is dimension dilation?

shungun said:
How can something with mass travel at the speed of light?
secondly specify if the mass is a magnetic material or if its charged ...
btw what is dimension dilation?

I think he means what would happen theoretically...

Yes...what would happen?
hmm...for a start if you are talking about relativistic mass, nothing much i would suppose as photons have a relativistic mass and they travel through magnetic fields in Earth =)
if the particle in question is charged(i.e electron for example) it will perform circular motion and it is traveling quite close to the speed of light...
any other ideas anyone?

shungun said:
Yes...what would happen?
hmm...for a start if you are talking about relativistic mass, nothing much i would suppose as photons have a relativistic mass and they travel through magnetic fields in Earth =)
if the particle in question is charged(i.e electron for example) it will perform circular motion and it is traveling quite close to the speed of light...
any other ideas anyone?

What do you mean by "circular motion"? Do you mean ... orbiting the source of the magnetic field?

Last edited:
well a magnetic field has an energy density and anything with energy curves space-time according to relativity , so it would then have a gravitational field so the mass would deflect.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or an electric current in which magnetic forces can be detected.

2. How does a magnetic field affect traveling objects?

A magnetic field can exert a force on a traveling object if the object has an electric charge or is a magnetic material. This force can cause the object to change direction or speed up/slow down.

3. Can a magnetic field impact human health during travel?

No, a magnetic field does not have any known impact on human health during travel. However, exposure to extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those found in some medical imaging machines, can have negative effects on the body.

4. Are there any risks associated with traveling through a magnetic field?

The main risk associated with traveling through a magnetic field is potential damage to electronic devices. Strong magnetic fields can interfere with the functioning of electronic devices and may cause them to malfunction.

5. How can we protect ourselves and our devices while traveling through a magnetic field?

To protect ourselves, we can limit our exposure to strong magnetic fields by avoiding areas where they are present, such as near power lines or medical imaging machines. To protect our devices, we can use shielding materials or keep them at a safe distance from the magnetic field source.