Double contraction of curvature tensor -> Ricci scalar times metric

In summary, the derivation of the Einstein tensor through double contraction of the covariant derivative of the Bianchi identity involves taking the derivative of each of the 3 Bianchi terms and then multiplying the resulting expression by two contravariant metric tensors. This results in two copies of the derivative of the Ricci tensor and a doubly contracted Ricci scalar, which is then multiplied by the metric tensor. The final expression is shown to be zero, satisfying the requirement that the covariant derivative of the Einstein tensor is zero. The presence of the metric tensor in the final expression is due to the contraction occurring inside a derivative.
gabeeisenstei
Double contraction of curvature tensor --> Ricci scalar times metric

I'm trying to follow the derivation of the Einstein tensor through double contraction of the covariant derivative of the Bianchi identity. (Carroll presentation.) Only one step in this derivation still puzzles me.

What I understand:
You take the derivative of each of the 3 Bianchi terms (curvature tensor with first 3 indices permuted), then double contract by multiplying whole expression by two contravariant metric tensors. On two terms, one of the raising indices matches the covariant derivative index, leaving one to raise an index on the curvature tensor, so that you get two copies of the (derivative of the) Ricci tensor. On the third term, both indices match indices on the curvature tensor, so it gets doubly contracted to Ricci scalar. Then you move the derivative operator outside the remaining expression (=Einstein tensor), showing that covariant derivative of Einstein tensor is zero, as required.

What I don't understand:
Ricci scalar ends up multiplying metric tensor. I can see that the final expression needs double-indexed tensors to balance out (and match stress-energy tensor). But how exactly did metric tensor get there, as result of double contraction? Normally this contraction is shown as just leaving scalar R. Does it depend on the contraction occurring inside a derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org

Following what you described, you got

2 Rμν;ν + R = 0

Rewrite the last term as (gμνR) and you will have it.

I see, I forgot to raise the index of the third derivative operator, to match the other two.
Thanks!

What is the double contraction of the curvature tensor?

The double contraction of the curvature tensor is a mathematical operation that involves taking the trace of the tensor twice. It is commonly used in Einstein's field equations to simplify the equations and express them in terms of the Ricci scalar and the metric.

What is the significance of the Ricci scalar in this context?

The Ricci scalar is a mathematical quantity that represents the intrinsic curvature of a space. In the double contraction of the curvature tensor, the Ricci scalar is multiplied by the metric to obtain a scalar quantity that characterizes the curvature of the space. This allows for a simpler and more elegant expression of the field equations.

How does this relate to general relativity and the theory of gravity?

In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime is described by the Einstein field equations. These equations relate the curvature of spacetime to the energy and matter content of the universe. The double contraction of the curvature tensor is an important step in deriving these equations and understanding the effects of gravity on the fabric of spacetime.

Can you provide an example of using the double contraction of the curvature tensor?

Sure, let's consider a 4-dimensional spacetime with a metric given by gμν = diag(-1, 1, 1, 1). The double contraction of the curvature tensor in this case would be R = Rμνμν = gμρgνσRμνρσ. This quantity represents the total curvature of the spacetime and can be used to solve the Einstein field equations and understand the behavior of gravity in this system.

Are there any alternative ways to express the double contraction of the curvature tensor?

Yes, there are other ways to express the double contraction, such as using index notation or using the Ricci tensor instead of the scalar. However, the double contraction with the Ricci scalar and metric is a commonly used and convenient form that simplifies the equations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the curvature of spacetime.