Mystery Political Call: Is Blocking Numbers Legal?

In summary: I live in Huntington Beach. This is where yuppies with too much money and time on their hands run for local offices because they have nothing better to do.:rolleyes:In summary, the call was from a political campaign and their number was blocked. It's against the law for commercial phone lines to block their number, but this is a loophole that charities and political campaigns can take advantage of.
TheStatutoryApe
Today I received a phone call from one of those automated political telephone campaign recordings. The number was blocked though!
That really suprised me. As far as I know businesses of any sort must be listed and can not block their number. I realize that political campaigns, legally speaking at least, are not the same as businesses but I was thinking that the same rules would still apply. Am I wrong? Does anyone know if this has changed or if there is an excption somewhere for these sorts of calls?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a call like that once, but I picked up the phone and the automata said 'Oh I am sorry this message was intended for your answering machine'

I guess you'd know who it was about from the message, and then you could pay a little visit to their house :devil: :grumpy:

Yes its legal. Charities and Political compaigns are still allowed to call your house, even if you are on the national do not call list.

gravenewworld said:
Yes its legal. Charities and Political compaigns are still allowed to call your house, even if you are on the national do not call list.
That's not what I mean. Their number was blocked, it didn't show up on the caller ID so I had no idea who was calling me and had no number for reference after the call. As far as I know it is against the law for commercial phone lines to block their number and I had assumed that such would be the case for political and charity type lines aswell.

TheStatutoryApe said:
That's not what I mean. Their number was blocked, it didn't show up on the caller ID so I had no idea who was calling me and had no number for reference after the call. As far as I know it is against the law for commercial phone lines to block their number and I had assumed that such would be the case for political and charity type lines aswell.
No, not for businesses, but telemarketers are supposed to have theirs shown. Were they asking for money?

It was just a messege promoting a candidate for fire chief or some such thing. They weren't asking for money.
I'm not sure about other places but around here, as far as I know, businesses are not allowed to block their numbers telemarketer or otherwise. I'm not sure about numbers like this one though I had always assumed only lines for private persons were allowed to be blocked.

Yes, it's legal

TheStatutoryApe said:
Not only were they given a loophole to continue annoying you even if you're on the do not call list but they can do so in a manner that prevents you from being able to block them. Even if you have a service like the "Privacy Selector Service" some of them have computer programs that record a fake name so the call goes through. I've had several of these :(

Fire chief elections that competitive statutory? :)

Pengwuino said:
Fire chief elections that competitive statutory? :)
I live in Huntington Beach. This is where yuppies with too much money and time on their hands run for local offices because they have nothing better to do.:rolleyes:

I don't mind political telemarketers. I usually make fun of them when they call. Just totally take the piss out of them. I actually got the liberals to hang up on ME once. :rofl:

What is a mystery political call?

A mystery political call is a phone call from a political organization or campaign where the caller's identity is not immediately clear. This can be due to the use of automated calling systems or the caller intentionally blocking their phone number.

Is blocking numbers legal for political calls?

The legality of blocking numbers for political calls depends on the country and its laws. In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has stated that political calls are exempt from the Do Not Call Registry and therefore can legally block their numbers. However, some states have their own laws regarding political calls and may have restrictions on blocking numbers.

Why do political campaigns use mystery calls?

Political campaigns use mystery calls as a way to reach a large number of potential voters quickly and efficiently. The use of automated calling systems and blocked numbers can also make it difficult for recipients to identify and block the calls, ensuring the message is delivered.

How can I stop mystery political calls?

If you are receiving unwanted mystery political calls, you can register your number on the National Do Not Call Registry. However, as mentioned before, political calls are exempt from this registry. You can also block specific phone numbers on your phone or use a call-blocking app.

What should I do if I receive a scam call disguised as a mystery political call?

If you receive a call claiming to be a political call but seem suspicious or like a scam, you should report it to the FCC. They have a complaint form on their website where you can provide details about the call. You can also report it to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), as they handle scams and fraudulent calls.