Converting Wet Stump Engine to Dry Stump

• Thread starter guitarrc6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, a windage tray is not worth the expense for a regular wet stump engine. It can help to reduce the chance of oil foaming, but it's also not necessary. Having positive crankcase pressure can be beneficial, but it's not necessary for a car that has boost.
guitarrc6
hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone knows how to convert a regular (wet stump) engine into a dry stump engine? Is it hard to do, and is it worth the gain? My goal is to make a low budget, street legal car that can do drag strip duty on the weekends. I know that a dry stump would be better because you can repositon the weight of the oil to make the car have better weight distrabution, but that's about all i know. any comments would be helpful.

thanks, brian

Engineering news on Phys.org
The long and short of it is it's tough, and slightly expensive for minimal returns.

You need a windage tray, crank scrappers, An external oil pump, a resevior for the retorn oil, and a hydraulic accumulator (to act as a surge volume). Add in the AN fittings, braided hose, and the hassel associated. It's not worth it for a weekend warrior.

ok, i got another question, would a windage tray be benificial in a regular wet stump engine? and also, is it good to have a negative crank case pressure? If its good to have a negative crank pressure, is that more benificial in a car that has boost?

Dry sumps are expensive, don't kid yourself. The gain isn't in weight distribution, the biggest gain is in having full oil pressure at startup and at any g-load on the motor. As said, very expensive for gains, but when you have 10K in the motor its worth it to protect your investment.

I've read that a windage tray can be up to maybe 10HP along with knife-edged crankshafts, and both reduce the chance of oil foaming should it puddle and become agitated. Some trays can also help tie the main caps together, I think in top fuel its cross-bolted as well.

If you had positive crankcase pressure, you would likely have oil leaks around your main seals. Hence the PCV valve...

Cliff

1. Why would someone want to convert a wet stump engine to a dry stump?

Converting a wet stump engine to a dry stump can improve the efficiency and performance of the engine. Wet stump engines rely on a constant supply of oil mixed with fuel to lubricate the internal components, which can cause excess oil and carbon buildup. Dry stump engines, on the other hand, have a separate lubrication system that reduces this buildup and allows for better control over fuel-to-air ratio.

2. Is it possible to convert any wet stump engine to a dry stump?

In most cases, it is possible to convert a wet stump engine to a dry stump. However, it may require significant modifications and expertise, and may not be worth the cost and effort for older or lower quality engines. It is best to consult a professional or do thorough research before attempting a conversion.

3. What are the benefits of a dry stump engine?

Dry stump engines have several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced oil consumption, and better control over fuel-to-air ratio. They also tend to have a longer lifespan due to less oil and carbon buildup, and can be easier to maintain and service.

4. Are there any downsides to converting a wet stump engine to a dry stump?

There are potential downsides to converting a wet stump engine to a dry stump, such as the cost and difficulty of the conversion, as well as the possibility of voiding the engine's warranty. It is essential to carefully consider the pros and cons and consult a professional before making any modifications to your engine.

5. Can I convert my wet stump engine to a dry stump myself?

Unless you have prior experience and knowledge in engine mechanics and modifications, it is not recommended to attempt a conversion on your own. It is best to seek the help of a professional who can properly assess your engine and make the necessary modifications for a successful conversion.