Understanding Congruent Modulos: A Guide

• Thread starter stanners
  • Start date
In summary, congruent modulos is a concept in which two numbers are considered equivalent if they have the same remainder when divided by a given number. Negative numbers work in the same way as positive numbers, and to find the remainder, you must add or subtract the given number until you get a number in the range of 0 to n-1.
stanners
Hey, I'm reading through some notes, and I don't really understand congruent modulos

I was hoping someone could explain better than the sites I found on google.
Am I solving for something? I see a bunch of examples, but I don't understand what the problem is, or what I'm solving for... a = b (mod p)

-1 = 1 (mod 2)
-12 = 3 (mod 5)

I don't understand how the negative numbers work.

22 = 1 (mod 3)
12 = 2 (mod 5)

What I'm getting right now is 22/3 is remainder 1. and 12/5 is remainder 2..

but for -12/5.. wouldn't the remainder be -2?
and -1/2.. wouldn't the remainder be -1?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Negative numbers work in precisely the same way as positive numbers.

x is congruent to y mod n if n divides x-y, so 1-(-1)=2, and 2 is divisible by 2, hence 1=-1 mod 2.

Remainders are defined to be in the range 0 to n-1. To work out the remainder you must subtract or _add_ n until you get a number in the right range. Thus, taking the -12 one, add 5 to get -7, add 5 to get -2, add 5 to get 3, now stop as we're in the range 0,1,2,3,4.

Congruent modulos can definitely be confusing at first, so don't worry, you're not alone! Essentially, congruent modulos (or congruence) is a way of comparing two numbers and seeing if they have the same remainder when divided by a certain number (also known as the modulus). In your examples, the modulus is p (2, 5, or 3) and the numbers being compared are a and b.

So when we say a = b (mod p), we mean that a and b have the same remainder when divided by p. For example, in the first equation you listed -1 = 1 (mod 2), this means that both -1 and 1 have a remainder of 1 when divided by 2. Similarly, in the second equation -12 = 3 (mod 5), this means that both -12 and 3 have a remainder of 3 when divided by 5.

Now, when it comes to negative numbers, it's important to remember that the remainder will always be a positive number. So in your example of -12/5, the remainder would not be -2, but rather 3 (since -12 divided by 5 gives a remainder of 3). The same goes for -1/2, the remainder would be 1, not -1.

In terms of solving for something, congruent modulos are often used in number theory and cryptography to solve equations involving remainders. For example, if we have an equation like 3x = 1 (mod 7), we can use congruence to find the value of x that satisfies this equation. In this case, x = 5, since 3*5 = 15, and 15 divided by 7 gives a remainder of 1.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit! Remember, congruent modulos can take some time to fully understand, so don't be too hard on yourself. Keep practicing and it will become easier over time. Good luck!

1. What is the definition of congruent modulos?

Congruent modulos refers to numbers that have the same remainder when divided by a given number, also known as the modulus. For example, 10 and 20 are congruent modulos with a modulus of 5 because they both have a remainder of 0 when divided by 5.

2. How is congruency determined?

Congruency is determined by finding the remainder when two numbers are divided by a given modulus. If the remainder is the same, then the numbers are congruent modulos.

3. What is the significance of congruent modulos?

Congruent modulos are important in number theory and cryptography. They allow for efficient computations and can be used to find patterns in numbers.

4. How is congruency used in cryptography?

Congruency is used in cryptography to secure data and messages. By using congruent modulos, encryption and decryption algorithms can be created to protect sensitive information.

5. Can two numbers be congruent with different moduli?

Yes, two numbers can be congruent with different moduli. For example, 10 and 20 are congruent modulos with a modulus of 5, but they are also congruent modulos with a modulus of 10.