Solve the simultaneous congruence modulo equation

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of modulo arithmetic using the Euclidean algorithm and the Chinese remainder theorem. The steps for finding the inverse are outlined using the Extended Euclidean algorithm and the concept of reverse substitution. The use of a common 'remainder' is also mentioned. The conversation also suggests not posting screenshots of other websites and instead providing a link.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
pure maths/ Extended euclidean algorithm
Find question and solution here;

1649480226718.png

1649480263030.png

The steps are clear...out of interest i decided to use the other equation; may i say that i underestimated the euclidean algorithm :biggrin: ...in trying to find the inverse of modulo arithmetic...of course we have the online calculator..but i always like understanding (indepth )on any math concept...some deep thinking on reverse substitution...My approach is as follows;

##x≡3 (mod5)##
##x= 5k+3##
##5k+3≡4(mod7)##
##k=(1)(5^{-1})(mod 7)##
now on using Extended Euclidean algorithm, it follows that,
##1=5-(7-5(1))(2)##
##1=5-(14-5(2))##
##1=5(3)-(7)(2)##
Therefore the inverse of ##5=3##, then we shall have
##k=(1)(3)(mod 7)##
##k=7n+3##
##x=5(7n+3)+3##
##x=35n+18##...any other easier approach highly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
Let x = y(mod 35),
y<35
y=3 (mod 5)={3,8,13,18,23,28,33}
y=4(mod 7)={4,11,18,25,32}
So y=18.

Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
Let x = y(mod 35),
y<35
y=3 (mod 5)={3,8,13,18,23,28,33}
y=4(mod 7)={4,11,18,25,32}
So y=18.
correct ,yes but wondering if your working steps is acceptable. Cheers mate. ...you looked at a common 'remainder' to conclude on ##18##.

Not clear what you mean by "easier". Chinese remainder theorem (CRT) is as easy as it gets if the moduli are pairwise coprime. For more in depth analysis, study a proof for the CRT.

Also, would recommend not posting screenshots of other websites. Link it, instead.

Likes chwala

1. What is a simultaneous congruence modulo equation?

A simultaneous congruence modulo equation is a set of equations in which the unknown variables are congruent to a specific number (modulus) in each equation. This means that the remainder when the variable is divided by the modulus is the same for all equations in the set.

2. How do I solve a simultaneous congruence modulo equation?

To solve a simultaneous congruence modulo equation, you can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem or the method of substitution. The Chinese Remainder Theorem involves finding the solutions to each individual equation and combining them using the modulus. The method of substitution involves substituting the solutions of one equation into the other equations until all variables are eliminated.

3. What are the applications of solving simultaneous congruence modulo equations?

Solving simultaneous congruence modulo equations is used in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations in finite fields.

4. Can a simultaneous congruence modulo equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a simultaneous congruence modulo equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the modulus can have multiple factors, and each factor can have its own set of solutions for the variable.

5. Are there any tools or methods to help solve simultaneous congruence modulo equations?

Yes, there are various online calculators and computer programs that can help solve simultaneous congruence modulo equations. Additionally, there are textbooks and resources available that provide step-by-step instructions and examples for solving these types of equations.