The relativity of time and defining the age of the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the relativity of time and its relationship to the age of the universe. The concept of time being relative is explained, where the passage of time is perceived differently for observers traveling at different speeds. This leads to the question of how we can assign an age to the universe. The possibility of interstellar travel based on the relativity of time is also discussed. The idea of comoving objects and their role in defining cosmological time is mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the practicality of a comoving clock surviving from the Big Bang until now.
smotpoker
The relativity of time and defining the "age" of the universe

I have been doing searches on the relativity of time and its relation to the "age of the universe," among other things. I have come across some insightful Q&A, but I have yet to really see a "solid" response to my innate question (or questions, as it were). I apologize if one has been given on another post; I am new here and haven't had the "time" (pun) to look thru them all yet. So, here are my questions for anyone who might be able to shed some light:

1) From what I have learned/read/seen, time is relative. The passage of time for observer A who is traveling at speed D within space-time (say someone on Earth traveling around the Sun) is different than the passage of time for observer B who is, say, traveling in a spacecraft at 99% the speed of light (.99c, I'll call it D1) within space-time. In essence, the passage of time for A from the perspective of B is faster, while the passage of time for B from the perspective of A is slower; the person traveling really fast (B) seems to be moving through time slower than the person just sitting on Earth (A) from A's perspective, and the other way around. However, the passage of time for each of them with respect to themselves ("personal time"?) seems normal from their own frame of reference (not compared to each other's frame of reference).

If I am correct in my explanation here (which I certainly may not be), then my question is this: how can we assign an age to the universe, e.g. how can we say the Big Bang happened so and so many years ago?

If the passage of time is relative based on the speed through which you travel through space-time, then how can we even contemplate assigning an age to the "beginning" of it? It would seem to me that it's an arbitrary point; our assignment of the age would be based only on our tiny little perspective (frame of reference) as forced on us by our being on Earth. Maybe I can explain my question better with a hypothetical situation building off my first example.

Let's say observer A from above is the same - a person on Earth right now. But now let's say observer B is a person who is still traveling at 99% the speed of light, but they started traveling at that speed 1 second after the Big Bang and have been ever since (throw out biology). Now, right away I see that my question is in and of itself a paradox because I am assigning a time value (1 second) to a question about time, but let's avoid that for now. Would it not mean that the "age" of the universe to B, were he to stop suddenly and land on Earth right now, be much lower than the 13.7 billion years that A seems to think has elapsed since the Big Bang? Wouldn't he have perceived that passage of time to be like maybe only 1 billion years since his passage of time is slower relative to ours since he was moving much faster?

I just can't get my head around that concept. And that leads to my second question.

2) I have read that interstellar space travel is possible based solely on the relativity of time (not using "warps" or "wormholes" or anything like that) because if you could travel close to the speed of light, you could traverse say, 40 light years, in like maybe 1 year. Is that true? Again, I just can't get my head around it. Is that because the "40 light years" we assign as a distance to another star system is relative since it is based on a unit of time, and even though light does technically take 40 of "our" years to reach us from there, if we were traveling on the light beam, the passage of time from our new perspective would be much smaller? In essence, if we could travel on a beam of light, would we be able to pretty much go anywhere a limitless amount of times because, from our perspective on the light beam, time essentially slowed to a halt?

Sorry if these questions got too convoluted or in-depth; I have just been doing a lot of research lately and my brain is fumbling for some semblance of an explanation to things I'm having trouble grasping.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Have a look at this wiki page about comoving distance.
There is also a definition for comoving time:

The comoving time coordinate is the elapsed time since the Big Bang according to a clock of a comoving observer and is a measure of cosmological time. The comoving spatial coordinates tell us where an event occurs while cosmological time tells us when an event occurs. Together, they form a complete coordinate system, giving us both the location and time of an event.

Relativity is about the possibility to use any system of coordinates to describe the laws of physics. However, when communicating about time we need to agree on a common system of coordinate. The comoving time and distance system of coordinate is clearly defined and easy to understand. We can easily imagine a co-moving clock.

Of course, "practically" no real clock could be able to survive from the big bang till now!
Or is that true?
After all, the universe itself is a clock.

To add to the above response, a "comoving" object is simply an object which sees the universe as isotropic, i.e. an object which "free falls" according to the overall expansion of the universe and has no "peculiar velocity" due to other forces (including gravity of local objects). We sometimes also call these objects "substratum particles". The geodesics of the set of all possible such objects fill the space-time manifold (our universe) and are orthogonal to a set of Cauchy surfaces which foilate the space-time manifold. Thus, we can use the proper time along these geodesics as a "global time coordinate", and it is this time with respect to which we make such statements as "the age of the universe is XXX years".

Of course this proper-time would be infinite if the Universe did not begin in a singularity. We cannot extend our geodesics past some previous proper time (~13.7 billion years before today) and therefore we call our space-time "geodesically incomplete", and know that a singularity existed at the big-bang.

smotpoker said:
2) I have read that interstellar space travel is possible based solely on the relativity of time (not using "warps" or "wormholes" or anything like that) because if you could travel close to the speed of light, you could traverse say, 40 light years, in like maybe 1 year. Is that true? Again, I just can't get my head around it. Is that because the "40 light years" we assign as a distance to another star system is relative since it is based on a unit of time, and even though light does technically take 40 of "our" years to reach us from there, if we were traveling on the light beam, the passage of time from our new perspective would be much smaller? In essence, if we could travel on a beam of light, would we be able to pretty much go anywhere a limitless amount of times because, from our perspective on the light beam, time essentially slowed to a halt?

Thanks.

Yes that is true. The more energy you put into accelerating a clock towards a star, the sooner the clock arrives there. Twice as much energy, half the time. There is no limit to this.

The way this works is that if you shot the clock out of a cannon that suddenly accelerated it to .99c relative to the star then the star suddenly seems much closer as far as the clock is concerned. Everything tells it that the star is 1/7th as far away as it was before the cannon fire, and the journey time it measures is 1% more than that. Strange!

As to "why," this is what has to happen so that the laws of physics compatible with a finite speed of light. (This is sort of a tautology: if an equation does not survive these weird "distortions" then it isn't a law of physics.) This is a good thing, since our bodies rely on the laws of physics for proper operation, so it is nice that they always apply.

And yes the proper time of a beam of light is always zero. Light does not age, so we can see things from 13 billion years ago. As to what if anything "time" means to a photon, that we don't know. The photons haven't told us.

smotpoker said:

Thanks.
Yes that is true. The more energy you put into accelerating a clock towards a star, the sooner the clock arrives there. Twice as much energy, half the time. There is no limit to this.

The way this works is that if you shot the clock out of a cannon that suddenly accelerated it to .99c relative to the star then the star suddenly seems much closer as far as the clock is concerned. Everything tells it that the star is 1/7th as far away as it was before the cannon fire, and the journey time it measures is 1% more than that. Strange!

As to "why," this is what has to happen so that the laws of physics are compatible with a finite speed of light. (This is sort of a tautology: if an equation does not survive these weird "distortions" then it isn't a law of physics.) This is a good thing, since our bodies rely on the laws of physics for proper operation, so it is nice that they always apply.

And yes the proper time of a beam of light is always zero. Light does not age, so we can see things from 13 billion years ago. As to what if anything "time" means to a photon, that we don't know. The photons haven't told us.

Last edited:

An interesting point has just occurred to me about the definition of the age of the Universe. The correct point was made that different observers that have been around since the start of the Universe would be different ages because of their different motion and exposure to gravitational time dilation. While it is true that there is a common time for co-moving observers, this is a rather rough definition, as the distribution and movement of galaxies has a lot of randomness.

But there may be a unique definition from the physics. There are many paths from the big bang to any space-time point in the Universe. Each of these paths has a different proper time. The maximum of these proper times seems a good definition of the age of the Universe at a point.

1. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to the concept of time?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers. This theory revolutionized our understanding of time by showing that it is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the theory of relativity affect our understanding of the age of the universe?

The theory of relativity plays a crucial role in our understanding of the age of the universe. According to the theory, time is not constant and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time can pass at different rates for different observers, making it difficult to determine the exact age of the universe. Scientists use complex mathematical models and observations of cosmic phenomena to estimate the age of the universe based on the principles of relativity.

3. What is cosmic time and how is it different from regular time?

Cosmic time is a measure of time that is used in cosmology to describe the evolution of the universe. It is different from regular time as it takes into account the effects of gravity and the expansion of the universe. Cosmic time is often measured in billions of years, while regular time is measured in seconds, minutes, and hours.

4. How do scientists determine the age of the universe?

There are several methods that scientists use to determine the age of the universe. One way is by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang. Scientists can also study the expansion rate of the universe and the distance of galaxies to estimate its age. Additionally, they use the observed ages of the oldest stars and the rate of star formation to calculate the age of the universe.

5. Can the age of the universe be accurately determined?

While scientists have made significant strides in estimating the age of the universe, it is not possible to determine it with 100% accuracy. This is due to the complex nature of the universe and the limitations of our current technology. However, with advancements in scientific research and technology, our understanding of the age of the universe continues to improve and become more precise.