What Steps Are Needed to Solve This Circuit Analysis Problem?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Source
In summary: In order to calculate the current I would need to know the voltage over the 5 ohm resistor. Yeah I just realized the Circuit said what the drop was over the 5 ohm resistor. In order to calculate the current I would need to know the voltage over the 5 ohm resistor.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

i attached the problem.
I am unsure how to solve this problem. I applied KVL and got 15-1I-2vx-vx-2I=0. Where I is the current in the circuit. From that equation I have 2 unknowns, so I obviously have to find I.

To find I I'd have to find Req, but I don't know how the resistors are arranged. the 2 ohm and 5ohm resistors are in series giving an equivalent R=7ohms. Is the 1ohm resistor in parallel with the combination R=7ohm?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a series circuit -- all the components are connected in series.

gneill said:
It's a series circuit -- all the components are connected in series.

I don't get how it's a series circuit. Isn't the voltage dependent voltage source (2vx) separating the 1 ohm resistor from being in series with the others?

pyroknife said:
I don't get how it's a series circuit. Isn't the voltage dependent voltage source (2vx) separating the 1 ohm resistor from being in series with the others?

No, the dependent source is just another component in the loop. Note how there is only one path for current to follow around the single loop. This is a series circuit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43217&stc=1&d=1327761220.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 583
gneill said:
No, the dependent source is just another component in the loop. Note how there is only one path for current to follow around the single loop. This is a series circuit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43217&stc=1&d=1327761220.gif

Oh I see thanks. Does that dependent source have an effect on calculating the current? For this problem I found Req=8ohms. Would current just be 15V/8ohms=I or do I have to take into account the dependent source?

pyroknife said:
Oh I see thanks. Does that dependent source have an effect on calculating the current? For this problem I found Req=8ohms. Would current just be 15V/8ohms=I or do I have to take into account the dependent source?

The dependent source certainly has an effect on the current.

Start by writing the KVL equation for the loop.

I did and got 15-1I-2vx-vx-2I=0.
Would my other equation be V=IR, I=(15-2vx)/8

pyroknife said:
I did and got 15-1I-2vx-vx-2I=0.
Would my other equation be V=IR, I=(15-2vx)/8

I suppose you could use that equation, but why not something simpler, like

Vx = I*5Ω ?

gneill said:
I suppose you could use that equation, but why not something simpler, like

Vx = I*5Ω ?

Yeah I just realized the Circuit said what the drop was over the 5 ohm resistor

What is a circuits-dependent source?

A circuits-dependent source is a special type of electronic circuit component that produces an output voltage or current that is dependent on the values of other components in the circuit. This means that the output of the source changes as the components in the circuit change.

How does a circuits-dependent source work?

A circuits-dependent source typically consists of a voltage or current source connected to a control element, such as a resistor or transistor, which adjusts the output based on the values of other components in the circuit. The control element acts as a feedback mechanism to regulate the output of the source.

What are the types of circuits-dependent sources?

There are several types of circuits-dependent sources, including voltage-controlled voltage sources (VCVS), current-controlled current sources (CCCS), voltage-controlled current sources (VCCS), and current-controlled voltage sources (CCVS). Each type has different characteristics and uses in electronic circuits.

What are the applications of circuits-dependent sources?

Circuits-dependent sources are commonly used in electronic circuits to control the behavior of other components, such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators. They are also used in simulation software to model real-world circuits and in circuit analysis to calculate the behavior of complex circuits.

What are the advantages of using circuits-dependent sources?

The use of circuits-dependent sources allows for greater control and flexibility in electronic circuits, as the output can be adjusted based on the values of other components. This can lead to improved performance and efficiency in circuit design. Additionally, these sources are commonly used in simulation and analysis tools, making it easier to design and troubleshoot circuits.