Tractrix Reparametrization.

• Thread starter kezman
  • Start date
In summary: This is the same result that you obtained, just written in a different form.In summary, we have shown that the involute of the catenary parameterized by arc length is a reparametrization of the tractrix, using the change of parameter 1/cosh(t) = sin(r). I hope this helps you with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.
kezman
I need your help!.
Show that the involute of the catenary parameterized by arc length is a reparametrization of tractrix. (use the change of parameter 1/cosh(t)=sin(r))

The involute of the catenary (with arc length param.) gave me the following result:

(arcsinh(s), cosh(arcsinh(s))) + (s_o - s) (1\sqrt(s^2 + 1)), (s\sqrt(s^2 + 1)))

when I use the change of parameter s = sinh(t) I have this:

(t,cosh(t)) + (sinh(t_0) - sinh(t)) (1\(cosh(t)) , tgh(t))

I don't know how to continue with what its proposed 1/cosh(t)=sin(r) or if everything I did is worong .
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with this problem.

First, let's start by defining the involute of the catenary. The involute of a curve is the curve traced by the end of a string as it unwinds from the curve. In this case, the curve we are interested in is the catenary, which is the curve formed by a hanging chain or cable under its own weight.

Now, let's consider the catenary parameterized by arc length. This means that the arc length along the catenary curve is used as the parameter instead of the traditional x and y coordinates. Using this parameterization, we can write the catenary curve as (arcsinh(s), cosh(arcsinh(s))).

Next, we need to find the involute of this catenary curve. To do this, we can use the following formula: (x(s), y(s)) + (s_o - s) (y'(s), -x'(s)), where (x(s), y(s)) is the original curve and (x'(s), y'(s)) is its derivative.

Applying this formula to our catenary curve, we get (arcsinh(s), cosh(arcsinh(s))) + (s_o - s) (1/sqrt(s^2 + 1), s/sqrt(s^2 + 1)).

Now, we can use the change of parameter 1/cosh(t) = sin(r). This means that t = arcsinh(s) and r = cosh(arcsinh(s)). Substituting these values into our formula for the involute, we get (t, r) + (sinh(t_0) - sinh(t)) (1/cosh(t), tanh(t)).

This is the same result that you got, but using a different notation for the parameters. We can rewrite this in terms of s by substituting t = arcsinh(s) and r = cosh(arcsinh(s)). This gives us (arcsinh(s), cosh(arcsinh(s))) + (sinh(arcsinh(s_0)) - sinh(arcsinh(s))) (1/cosh(arcsinh(s)), tanh(arcsinh(s))).

Finally, we can simplify this to (arcsinh(s), cosh(arcsinh(s))) + (s_o - s) (1

1. What is Tractrix Reparametrization?

Tractrix Reparametrization is a mathematical technique used to transform a curve known as the Tractrix into a more easily manageable form. This technique involves changing the parameterization of the curve, which is the way the curve is represented in terms of an independent variable, to simplify calculations and analysis.

2. Why is Tractrix Reparametrization important?

Tractrix Reparametrization is important because it allows for easier analysis and calculation of the Tractrix curve. The Tractrix curve is commonly used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to describe the motion of an object being pulled along a surface by a force. By reparametrizing the curve, complex equations and calculations can be simplified, making it easier to solve problems and make predictions.

3. How is Tractrix Reparametrization performed?

Tractrix Reparametrization is performed by finding a new parameterization for the Tractrix curve that simplifies the equation and makes it easier to work with. This can be done using techniques such as change of variables or substitution, which involve replacing the original parameter with a new one that satisfies certain conditions. The goal is to find a parameterization that reduces the complexity of the curve without changing its shape.

4. What are the benefits of using Tractrix Reparametrization?

The main benefit of using Tractrix Reparametrization is that it simplifies the Tractrix curve, making it easier to work with and analyze. This can save time and effort when solving complex problems involving the Tractrix curve. Another benefit is that it allows for better understanding and visualization of the curve, as the new parameterization may reveal certain properties or relationships that were not apparent in the original form.

5. In what fields is Tractrix Reparametrization commonly used?

Tractrix Reparametrization is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics, where the Tractrix curve is frequently encountered. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic movements. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as robotics, where the Tractrix curve is used to model the path of a moving object.