Algorithm to determine the roulette curve

In summary, a method for determining the roulette curve using any two curves, a fixed curve and a rolling curve, has been presented. The curves are parameterized in the complex plane, making use of complex multiplication for rotation and translation. The process of aligning tangents is crucial for determining the roulette curve, with the condition |f'(t)| = |r'(t)| being necessary for "rolling without slipping". This process has been illustrated with an example of a parabola and a circle, and a general solution has been provided using arc length equations. This method can be applied to any two curves, with the convenience of using the complex plane representation.
LAP3141
I am trying to develop an equation or algorithm to determine the roulette curve that results from rolling a curve over another fixed curve.

A general method to determine the roulette using any two curves, rolling and fixed, seems to be presented here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roulette_(curve)
I can follow the theoretical description. The curves are parameterized in the complex plain. This is convenient because complex multiplication is essentially a rotation and the roulette is determined by a rotation and a translation determined by aligning the tangents.

Also, the example presented, which is a rolling line over a fixed catenary, does indeed generate a variety of roulettes based on a variable parameter p.

But I am stuck in determining how to align the tangents for two general curves. The tangents are aligned when |f'(t)| = |r'(t)|.

In the given example, the parameterization for the line is chosen as sinh(t) based on the parameterization for the catenary so that |f'(t)| = |r'(t)|. IOW, given the parameterization for the catenary, a parameterization for the line is determined so that |f'(t)| = |r'(t)|.

I can't understand how this process of aligning tangents can be extended to two general curves.

For example, let's assume that the fixed curve is a general parabola, which is parameterized as z(t) = t + A*t^2*i.

Let's also assume that the rolling curve is a circle of radius R: z(t) = R * exp(t*i) = R*cos(t) + i*R*sin(t).

In this case, however, |f'(t)| = sqrt(4*A^2*t^2+1) and |r'(t)| = R which are not equal.

How then can a circle be parameterized so that it will have |f'(t)| = |r'(t)|?

This website casts a little more light on the issue:

http://www.mathcurve.com/courbes2d.gb/base/base.shtml
Here, it seems that they have a different parameter, u, for the rolling curve and the two frames are related by some factor and du/dt.

But I cannot understand how to apply this in general.

Can anyone comment on how to align the tangents for the general case?

Physics news on Phys.org
LAP3141 said:
For example, let's assume that the fixed curve is a general parabola, which is parameterized as z(t) = t + A*t^2*i.
Let's also assume that the rolling curve is a circle of radius R: z(t) = R * exp(t*i) = R*cos(t) + i*R*sin(t).

I was able to discover the solution. For one curve to roll upon another "without slipping" the arc lengths must be equal.

The arc length of the parabola, parameterized as above, is:

asinh(2*A*t)/(4*A)+(t*sqrt(4*A^2*t^2+1))/2

We need to now parameterize the circle a bit differently with a parameter u:

%i*R*(exp((%i*u)/R)-1) = %i*R*(cos(u/R)-1)-R*sin(u/R)

The arc length of this circle becomes:

u

Now we equate the two arc lengths and the parameterized circle becomes:

%i*R*(exp((%i*(asinh(2*A*t)/(4*A)+(t*sqrt(4*A^2*t^2+1))/2))/R)-1)

The basic roulette equation can now be applied.

Note that I am using the notation from the maxima symbolic math program.

This method can be applied to any two curves. The arc length expressions may be intractable but numerical methods could always be applied,

The complex plane representation is far more convenient that doing rotational transformations in the Euclidean plane.

Likes qbar and Nik_2213

1. What is an algorithm?

An algorithm is a set of step-by-step instructions or rules used to solve a problem or perform a specific task. In the context of determining the roulette curve, an algorithm is a mathematical formula or procedure used to calculate the winning numbers on a roulette wheel.

2. How does the algorithm determine the roulette curve?

The algorithm uses mathematical equations and probability calculations to determine the likelihood of a specific number or set of numbers appearing on the roulette wheel. It takes into account factors such as the number of pockets on the wheel, the type of roulette game being played, and the previous winning numbers.

3. Is the algorithm accurate?

The accuracy of the algorithm depends on the complexity and sophistication of the formula used. Some algorithms may be more accurate than others, but ultimately, the outcome of a roulette game is based on chance and cannot be predicted with complete certainty.

4. Can the algorithm be used to cheat at roulette?

No, the algorithm is not intended to be used for cheating purposes. It is simply a tool used to analyze and calculate the probabilities of winning on a roulette wheel. Using any form of technology or device to cheat at gambling is illegal and can result in severe penalties.

5. Can the algorithm be applied to all types of roulette games?

The algorithm can be adapted and applied to different types of roulette games, such as European, American, or French roulette. However, the specific calculations and equations may vary depending on the rules and layout of the game. It is important to use the correct algorithm for the specific type of roulette being played.