Can someone tell me if i'm using the right method? More wave fun

In summary, the professor is trying to find the frequency of waves that have an amplitude of 7.70 mm in order to generate an average power of 85.0 watts. They are using the equation Average power per unit length = .5*A^2*v^2*(Tl)^.5where A is amplitude, v is frequency, T is tension, and l is linear mass density. However, they are not sure how to find v or the wave number with the given information. They are also given information about tension which is not in the equation. With some help from the equation, they are able to find the frequency, v, which is 1337.71 Hz.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, my professor posted some powerpoint presentations and this seems to be the only equation that seems relatively close to figure out the answer. But I'm confused on the information given and not given.
Here is the problem:
A string along which waves can travel is 3.60 m long and has a mass of 280 g. The tension in the string is 33.0 N. What must be the frequency of traveling waves of amplitude 7.70 mm in order that the average power be 85.0 W?

Here is the formula it looks like I'm going ot use:
Average power transmited per unit length = .5*vKA^2;
v I'm assuming is the velocity of the string, now K i think is suppose to be the wave #.
A is suppose to be the amplitude. But i don't see how I'm going to find the wave # or v with the given. ANd plus they are giving me infromatino about tension which isn't even in this equation. Any ideas?

I also can find linear density by taking .28 kg/3.60m = .07778.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try this equation

Average power per unit length = .5*A^2*v^2*(Tl)^.5

where A is amplitude, v is frequency, T is tension, and l is linear mass density

Almost forgot, some general advice

always check to make sure units work out, if K is the wave number in the equation your prof gave you then the equation gives units

(1/s*1/m*m^2)=m/s, assuming there is no mistake in the equation (I think the frequency should be squared) then K would have to have units of kg/(s^2) to give a power.

The equation I gave you gives an answer that does have units of power.

Thanks asrodan but it said it was wrong,
i did the folllowing:
Power = .5*A^2*v^2*(Tl)^.5
Solved for v and got::
v^2 = [2*(Power)]/(A^2*(TI)^(.5)
v = SQRT( [2*(85)] / (7.7E-3)^2 * (33*.0778)^(.5) )
v = 2143.28 Hz

The answer I'm getting is 1337.71 Hz

If your using a program to calculate v, the way you have your equation (v=) written will put the (33*0.778)^(.5) in the numerator instead of the denominator.

Last edited:
O my bad, your right but I submitted: 1337.71 and it was still wrong. I think the formula might be off somewhere

I dug out some of my textbooks to check the equation, and it is correct. However, the v should actually have been w (angular frequency) and the question seems to be asking for normal frequency in which case you need to divide by 2*Pi

Thanks for checking that!
Well if i just found frequency instead of angualr and if v is frequency isn't the equation:
v = w/2*pi
so wouldn't I multiply 1337.71 by 2*pi rather then divide?

The frequency you found from the equation I gave you was angular frequency.

You are the man! ur getting cookies e-mailed to you asap.
thanks for the help!

1. Can you explain the different methods for studying waves?

There are several methods for studying waves, including experimental methods, mathematical analysis, and computer simulations. In experimental methods, scientists use tools such as wave tanks or sensors to observe and measure waves in real-world scenarios. Mathematical analysis involves using equations and formulas to describe and predict the behavior of waves. Computer simulations use software programs to model and visualize waves in various environments.

2. How do I know if I am using the right method for my research?

The right method to use for studying waves depends on the specific goals and objectives of your research. It is important to consider factors such as the type of wave you are studying, the available resources and equipment, and the desired level of accuracy and precision. Consult with experienced scientists or conduct a literature review to determine the most suitable method for your research.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using experimental methods for studying waves?

Some common mistakes when using experimental methods include not calibrating equipment properly, not controlling for external factors, and not conducting enough trials to ensure reliable results. It is important to carefully plan and design experiments, follow proper procedures, and analyze data accurately to avoid these mistakes and ensure the validity of your findings.

4. What are the advantages of using computer simulations for studying waves?

Computer simulations offer several advantages for studying waves, including the ability to model complex systems and environments, the ability to control and manipulate variables, and the ability to conduct virtual experiments without the need for physical resources. Simulations also allow for quick and efficient data analysis and can provide visual representations of wave behavior.

5. How can I make studying waves more fun and engaging?

There are many ways to make studying waves more fun and engaging, such as conducting hands-on experiments, using interactive software and simulations, participating in field trips or research projects, and collaborating with other scientists. It can also be helpful to set specific goals and challenges for yourself, and to continuously seek new and interesting ways to explore and understand waves.