Question on moment of inertia of multiple bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of moment of inertia (MOI) for two unequal masses rotating at the same distance about an axis. The participants agree that the angular position of the masses does not affect the MOI, but there is an issue with calculating it using the distance of the center of mass from the rotation axis. The solution is to use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the MOI about the desired axis.
jasc15
My boss and i were considering he following problem (see attached image):

2 unequal masses rotate an equal distance, r, about an axis. We both agreed that regardless of their angular position from each other (wether they were diametrically opposed or otherwise oriented, the 2 examples shown in the image) is not relevant to their moment of inertia. However, you should be able to calculate the MOI using their center of mass and its distance, x, from the rotation axis. There is obviously something wrong with this assumption, since r and x are not equal. Can someone shed some light on this? Also, I am ignoring their centroidal mass moments.

Attachments

• MOI.jpg
    MOI.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,415
Physics news on Phys.org
the MOI is about an axis of rotation. Not about the CG. (Well, it can be if you take the distances about the CG).

They should be the same to me. What you have in your example is the polar MOI.

I would expect the case where the CG is furthers from the axis of rotation (O) to have the most rotational imbalance.

Last edited:
jasc15 said:
However, you should be able to calculate the MOI using their center of mass and its distance, x, from the rotation axis.
The MOI of a composite body about some axis does not simply = (total mass)*(distance from axis to center of mass)^2. To use the center of mass, you have to first find the MOI of the composite body about its center of mass and then use the parallel axis theorem to get the MOI about the desired axis. Do it properly and you'll find that you get the same total MOI this way or by just adding the individual MOIs.

Thanks for the help. I got it

1. What is the moment of inertia of multiple bodies?

The moment of inertia of multiple bodies is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of all the individual bodies that make up the object.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for multiple bodies?

The moment of inertia for multiple bodies can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia for each body. This can be done by using the formula I = Σmr², where m is the mass of each body and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the body's mass.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia for a single body and multiple bodies?

The moment of inertia for a single body is simply a measure of its own resistance to rotational motion. However, for multiple bodies, the moment of inertia takes into account the combined effects of each body's mass and distribution of mass on the object's overall resistance to rotation.

4. How can the moment of inertia be affected by the arrangement of multiple bodies?

The moment of inertia can be affected by the arrangement of multiple bodies in terms of the distance of each body from the axis of rotation and their distribution of mass. The farther the bodies are from the axis and the more the mass is distributed away from the axis, the higher the moment of inertia will be.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in determining an object's rotational motion. Objects with larger moments of inertia will have a greater resistance to rotational motion, making it harder for them to rotate. This can affect the speed and stability of an object's rotation.