Deriving Equation (3) from A. Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" Chapter I.5

• Thread starter kexue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation discusses equations (3) and (5) in A. Zee's "QFT in a nutshell" chapter I.5 on page 31 and chapter I.10 on page 78. The conversation mentions rearranging equations and the use of -g, and asks for clarification on how the equations come about and what happens to the tensor density -g. Two helpful individuals provide assistance by suggesting multiplying both sides of an equation and using the equation -g=1+\eta^{\mu\nu}h_{\mu\nu}+O(h^2).
kexue
In A. Zee "QFT in a nutshell" in chapter I.5 on page 31 how does equation (3) come about? Just the line above this equation, he gives an equation which needs to be rearranged to give (3). It must be embarrassing simply, but I can't see how. Something with the indices goes on. How does the -g-kk/m^2 gets on the numerator, why and how kk/m^2??

If you don't own the book, http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/s7573.pdf" with page 31 and equation (3).

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to multiply both sides of the previous equation by

[tex]-g_{\mu\rho} + k_{\mu} k_{\rho} / m^2[/tex]

thanx hamster143!

Another equation bothering me is (5) in chapter I.10 on page 78. It's the matter action expanded to first order in h. I can't see clearly how eq. (4) and (5) go toegther. What happens to the tensor density -g in (4), it does not appear in (5)? What is the first term on the RHS, the matter action where h=0? Any hints?

thank you again

Use [tex]-g=1+\eta^{\mu\nu}h_{\mu\nu}+O(h^2)[/tex]. Thus
[tex](-g)^{-1/2}=1-\eta^{\mu\nu}h_{\mu\nu}/2+O(h^2)[/tex].

Wow that was fast, thanks a lot arkajad!

FAQ: Deriving Equation (3) from A. Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" Chapter I.5

1. What is Equation (3) in A. Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" Chapter I.5?

Equation (3) is the Lagrangian density for a free scalar field, which is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a scalar field in space and time.

2. How is Equation (3) derived from A. Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" Chapter I.5?

Equation (3) is derived from the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics that describes the behavior of a system by minimizing the action, or energy, of the system. This equation is then applied to the Lagrangian density for a free scalar field to obtain Equation (3).

3. What is the significance of Equation (3) in A. Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" Chapter I.5?

Equation (3) is significant because it is the starting point for understanding the dynamics of a free scalar field in quantum field theory. It allows us to calculate the probabilities of different particle interactions and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Are there any assumptions made in deriving Equation (3) from A. Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" Chapter I.5?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in deriving Equation (3). The first is that the scalar field is free, meaning it is not interacting with any other fields. Additionally, the field is assumed to be in a vacuum state, meaning there are no particles present. These assumptions allow for a simpler derivation of Equation (3) and are often used as a starting point for more complex calculations.

5. Can Equation (3) be applied to other fields besides a scalar field?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation and the Lagrangian density can be applied to many different fields, including vector fields and spinor fields. However, the specific form of Equation (3) will change depending on the type of field being studied.

Back