Exploring Compound Semiconductors: Valence Electron Sharing and Bond Types

In summary: Basically the rule states that the average group number of the atoms in a material should be 4, but this rule does not always work. For example, the chalcopyrites are pseudo-III-V materials because the average group number of the atoms in them is 3.
Unskilled
Which groups in the periodic system forms compounded semiconductors?

Is it those who can share 8 valenceelectron together? or is it those who can share 4 valence electrons together?
If this is the case why is it just those who can form compound semiconductors?
Can i use the electronconfiguration to show this, or how should i motivate this?
Also which type of bond is on those compounded semiconductors?

Physics news on Phys.org
This should probably be in the Atomic, Solid State, Comp. Physics forum.

In order to have a semiconductor, the bonding in the material needs to be somewhere between covalent and metallic, and you can't have a large difference in electronegativity between the atoms involved. If you have strong covalent bonding (or strongly localized electrons) then this gives you a good insulator, like with diamond. If there is a large electronegativity difference, as in NaF, then you will get an ionic material which is an insulator.

I don't think you can make an argument purely from an electron configuration standpoint; diamond and silicon both have the same configuration for their valence electrons, however diamond is a good insulator and silicon is a semiconductor.

There is a pretty simple "rule"; the average "group number" should be 4.
E.g. silcon and germanium are in group IV. Most of the other important compounds are III-V compounds (i.e. (3+5e)/2), e.g. GaAs,GaN, InP are all widely used.
There are also many II-VI semiconductors, although AFAIK only the zink- and cadmium compounds are actually used (e.g. ZnS).
However, this "rule" does not always work, it does not cover for example the chalcopyrites.

f95toli said:
However, this "rule" does not always work, it does not cover for example the chalcopyrites.
Note: You can make hole doped chalcopyrites, which are semiconductors.

Gokul43201 said:
Note: You can make hole doped chalcopyrites, which are semiconductors.

Yes they are, some chalcopyrites are also known as pseudo-III-V or pseudo-II-VI materials. (I did my doctorate in chalcopyrite optical and elactronic property calculations.)

FAQ: Exploring Compound Semiconductors: Valence Electron Sharing and Bond Types

1. What are compound semiconductors?

Compound semiconductors are materials that are made up of two or more elements from different groups in the periodic table. Examples include gallium arsenide (GaAs), indium phosphide (InP), and silicon carbide (SiC).

2. How do valence electrons contribute to the properties of compound semiconductors?

Valence electrons are the outermost electrons in an atom and they are responsible for the chemical bonding between atoms. In compound semiconductors, the sharing of valence electrons between different atoms creates a unique crystalline structure that gives the material its specific properties, such as its electrical conductivity and optical properties.

3. What is the role of bond types in compound semiconductors?

Bond types refer to the way in which atoms are held together in a compound semiconductor. There are three main types of bonds: covalent, ionic, and metallic. In compound semiconductors, the type of bond between atoms determines the material's properties, such as its band gap and electron mobility.

4. How are compound semiconductors used in technology?

Compound semiconductors have a wide range of applications in technology, including in electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and LEDs. They are also used in solar cells, lasers, and sensors, due to their unique properties and ability to convert electricity into light or vice versa.

5. What are some current research areas in exploring compound semiconductors?

Some current research areas in compound semiconductors include developing new materials with improved properties, such as higher efficiency and lower costs, for use in renewable energy technologies. Other areas of research include exploring new applications for compound semiconductors, such as in quantum computing and biotechnology.