MATLAB Write result to txt file

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Matlab
In summary, The person is asking for help on how to write the result of a program in MATLAB to a text file. They have tried googling but have not found a solution. Someone suggests using the save command for variables and the fprintf command for formatted output. The person is also advised to search Google using the keyword "MATLAB file io" to find the desired result. Another person recommends concatenating numbers into an array and using the save command for ASCII output, while for other types of output, the fprintf command will be needed.
NoobixCube
Hey All,
Quick question hope someone can help.
Does anyone know how to write the result from a program in MATLAB to a text file ?
I have googled this question to no avail.
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to save variables to a text file, try the save command.

For formatted output, try the fprintf command

Cheers siddharth I will have a gander.

you can search google by the keyword : MATLAB file io
then ,you will get the result you wanted

i want to save my output in text file. i use for loop so it produce n outputs.i want to save all the output in my single file

sivagami said:
i want to save my output in text file. i use for loop so it produce n outputs.i want to save all the output in my single file

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

If your outputs are numbers, concatenate your numbers together into an array and then save using the save command (type 'help save' to figure out how to get ASCII output). Otherwise, you'll need to use fprintf.

1. How do I write the result of a MATLAB code to a text file?

To write the result of a MATLAB code to a text file, you can use the "fprintf" function. This function allows you to format and write data to a text file. You can specify the file name and the data you want to write to the file. For example, you can use the following code to write a variable called "result" to a text file named "output.txt":
fprintf('output.txt', '%d', result);

2. Can I append the result to an existing text file using MATLAB?

Yes, you can append the result to an existing text file using MATLAB. To do this, you can use the "fprintf" function with the "a" parameter, which stands for "append". This will add the new data to the end of the existing file without overwriting the previous data. For example, you can use the following code to append a variable called "result" to an existing text file named "output.txt":
fprintf('output.txt', '%d', result, 'a');

3. How can I specify the format of the data when writing to a text file in MATLAB?

You can specify the format of the data by using the appropriate format specifier in the "fprintf" function. For example, if you want to write a floating-point number with 2 decimal places, you can use the format specifier "%0.2f". You can also use other specifiers such as "%d" for integers, "%s" for strings, and "%e" for scientific notation. Make sure to match the format specifier with the type of data you are writing to the file.

4. Is there a way to automatically save the result of a MATLAB code to a text file?

Yes, there is a way to automatically save the result of a MATLAB code to a text file. You can use the "diary" function, which will record all the inputs and outputs of your MATLAB session in a text file. To do this, you can use the following code:
diary('output.txt');
% your MATLAB code
diary off;

5. How can I read the data from a text file in MATLAB?

To read data from a text file in MATLAB, you can use the "fscanf" function. This function allows you to read data from a text file and store it into variables. You need to specify the file name and format of the data you want to read. For example, you can use the following code to read the data from a text file named "input.txt" that contains three floating-point numbers:
data = fscanf('input.txt', '%f %f %f');
This will store the three numbers into the variable "data" in the order they appear in the file.