Calculating 0.5M NaCl in 500mL Water

The number of moles of NaCl does not change, but the concentration (Molarity) in a given volume of the solution does.In summary, to make a 0.5M NaCl solution with a final volume of 500mL, you would need to dissolve 27.25g of NaCl in water. The number of moles of NaCl does not change, but the concentration (Molarity) in a given volume of the solution does.
mmedin01

Homework Statement

How many grams of NaCl (molecular weight=58.5g mole^-1) would you dissolve in water to make a 0.5M NaCl solution with 500mL final volume?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since, 1 L of 58.5g NaCl is equal 1M I used this to firstly convert 500ml into liters which is 0.5L and then I said that half 0f 58.5g is 27.25g NaCl and this will give me 0.5 M in 0.5L of water.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, 0.5 mole in 0.5L is not 0.5M.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, does the number of moles in NaCl change depending on the amount of water?

mmedin01 said:

[STRIKE]Yes.[/STRIKE] (Misread that "moles in NaCl"...)
Here's one way to look at it:

0.5 M NaCl = 0.5 mol NaCl/1 L solution = ? mol NaCl/0.5 L solution

For the two fractions to be equal, what number does the numerator have to be?

Last edited:
mmedin01 said:

There is no such thing as "number of moles in NaCl". There is either "number of moles of NaCl" or "number of moles of NaCl in the given volume of the solution".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I calculate the amount of 0.5M NaCl needed for 500mL of water?

In order to calculate the amount of 0.5M NaCl needed for 500mL of water, you will need to use the formula C1V1=C2V2, where C1 and V1 represent the concentration and volume of the stock solution (0.5M NaCl) and C2 and V2 represent the desired concentration and volume of the final solution (500mL). So, you will need to solve for V1, which will give you the volume of the 0.5M NaCl solution needed.

2. How do I make a 0.5M NaCl solution?

To make a 0.5M NaCl solution, you will need to dissolve 29.22g of NaCl (sodium chloride) in enough water to make a final volume of 500mL. You can use a balance to measure out the exact amount of NaCl needed and then add it to a volumetric flask. Then, add water to the flask until the total volume reaches 500mL.

3. Can I use any type of water to make a 0.5M NaCl solution?

Yes, you can use any type of water to make a 0.5M NaCl solution. However, it is recommended to use deionized or distilled water to avoid any impurities that may affect the accuracy of your solution.

4. Can I adjust the concentration of my 0.5M NaCl solution?

Yes, you can adjust the concentration of your 0.5M NaCl solution by adding more or less water. Keep in mind that the final volume of your solution will also change if you adjust the concentration.

5. How do I store my 0.5M NaCl solution?

Your 0.5M NaCl solution should be stored in a tightly sealed container, such as a volumetric flask or a glass bottle, at room temperature. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. It is also important to label your solution with the concentration, date, and any other relevant information.