Calculate the concentration (in M) of Cl- ions in solution C

In summary, when mixing solutions A and B, the concentration of Cl- ions in solution C is 1.234 M, and the concentration of Na+ ions is 1.80 M.
AMan24

Homework Statement

[/B]
PROBLEM #1 You have 3.00 L of a 3.39 M solution of NaCl(aq) called solution A. You also have 2.00 L of a 2.00 Msolution of AgNO3(aq) called solution B. You mix these solutions together, making solution C.

Calculate the concentration (in M) of Cl- ions in solution C.PROBLEM #2 You have 3.00 L of a 3.00 M solution of NaCl(aq) called solution A. You also have 2.00 L of a 2.00 Msolution of AgNO3(aq) called solution B. You mix these solutions together, making solution C.

Calculate the concentration (in M) of Na+ ions in solution C.

Homework Equations

nope

The Attempt at a Solution

For problem #2, i figured it out easily. I just did:
3.00M x 3.00L = 9moles.
9moles/(2.00L + 3.00L) = 1.80M

For problem #1, i found the answer but i don't understand why. Heres what its supposed to be like:

3.39M x 3.00L = 10.17moles Nacl.
2.00M x 2.00L = 4moles AgNO3 <------DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IM FINDING BOTH FOR THIS ONE AND NOT THE OTHER

now you do 10.17 moles NaCl - 4moles AgNO3 = 6.17Moles, (no idea why I am subtracting for this and not the other).

Now divide 6.17 by the total like the other problem. 6.17/(2.00L + 3.00L) = 1.234M...

- i don't think its because one is a cation and one is an anion
- my guess is that its because AgCl is a solid and NaNO3 is aqueous

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AMan24 said:
- my guess is that its because AgCl is a solid and NaNO3 is aqueous
Yes. Write down the balanced equation for what happens when you mix NaCl and AgNO3, with proper labels [(aq), etc.], and see what is in solution.

Likes AMan24
AMan24 said:
For problem #2, i figured it out easily. I just did:
3.00M x 3.00L = 9moles.
9moles/(2.00L + 3.00L) = 1.80M

For the record: that's not a correct answer.

1. How do you calculate the concentration of Cl- ions in solution C?

To calculate the concentration of Cl- ions in solution C, you need to know the molar mass of Cl- (35.45 g/mol), the volume of solution C in liters, and the number of moles of Cl- present in solution C. You can then use the formula M = mol/L to calculate the concentration in units of mol/L or Molarity.

2. What is the molar mass of Cl-?

The molar mass of Cl- is 35.45 g/mol. This includes the atomic weight of chlorine (35.45 g/mol) and the charge of -1, since Cl- has one more electron than the neutral chlorine atom.

3. How do you determine the volume of solution C?

The volume of solution C can be determined by measuring the amount of solution using a graduated cylinder or other volumetric measuring tool. Make sure to take note of the units used (e.g. liters, milliliters) and convert if necessary.

4. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity (M) is a measure of concentration in units of moles per liter of solution, while molality (m) is a measure of concentration in units of moles per kilogram of solvent. Molarity is temperature-dependent, while molality is not affected by changes in temperature.

5. What are the units for concentration in this calculation?

The units for concentration are typically moles per liter (mol/L) or Molarity. However, you can also express concentration in other units, such as parts per million (ppm) or percentage (%).