Hartree-Fock on a single Oxygen atom

In summary, the speaker is using the TURBOMOLE program for basic HF calculations and encountered an issue with the single oxygen atom. After doing an extended huckel theory guess, the program recommended certain occupations which appeared fine. However, when performing a dscf calculation, the program rearranged the orbitals in an unusual order. The speaker wonders if this is normal, to which the other person confirms that it is. They explain that the difference in orbital energies is due to the relaxation of the orbitals after the calculation. The speaker also asks if the orbitals can be used for a post-Hartree Fock CI calculation, to which the other person explains that while the orbitals are fine, the ROHF orbital energies
Morberticus
I'm using the TURBOMOLE program to do some basic HF calculations. They all went fine except for the single oxygen atom.

After doing an extended huckel theory guess to begin with, it recommended these occupations (d2h symmetry). That looks fine to me. The top two orbitals (4 and 5) are singly occupied so I have a triplet.

Code:
   Nr.   Orbital    Occupation       Energy
    5. o   1 b3u      1.000        -0.622769 H =       -16.946 eV
    4. o   1 b2u      1.000        -0.622769 H =       -16.946 eV
    3.      1 b1u      2.000        -0.622769 H =       -16.946 eV
    2.      2 ag       2.000        -1.234914 H  =       -33.604 eV
    1.      1 ag       2.000        -20.665490 H =      -562.337 eV

The trouble is, when I do a dscf calculation, it rearranges them to

Code:
    5.     1 b1u      2.000        -0.564167 H =       -15.352 eV
    4. o   1 b3u      1.000        -0.698996 H =       -19.021 eV
    3. o   1 b2u      1.000        -0.698996 H =       -19.021 eV
    2.      2 ag       2.000        -1.242835 H =       -33.819 eV
    1.      1 ag       2.000       -20.666663 H =      -562.369 eV

This looks completely unphysical to me, as the singly occupied orbitals should remain at the top I would imagine. For my purposes, I need to perform a restricted open hartree-fock, but I have tried an unrestricted hartree-fock calculation for comparison purposes, and it still gives me the unusual ordering above.

Is this normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's normal.

The difference is that before the calculation the p orbitals are all degenerate as they most likely originate from some kind of atomic density guess. After the calculation they are not degenerate anymore, because two are singly occupied and one is doubly occupied, and they have relaxed according to that.

Apart from that, you cannot really read too much into the orbital energies. In ROHF they are not unique, and depending on your choice of defining the Fock matrix you can get rather different values for the open-shell ones.

alxm said:
It's normal.

cgk said:
The difference is that before the calculation the p orbitals are all degenerate as they most likely originate from some kind of atomic density guess. After the calculation they are not degenerate anymore, because two are singly occupied and one is doubly occupied, and they have relaxed according to that.

Apart from that, you cannot really read too much into the orbital energies. In ROHF they are not unique, and depending on your choice of defining the Fock matrix you can get rather different values for the open-shell ones.

Thanks. Ultimately I need orbital energies for a post-Hartree Fock CI calculation. Would they be valid to use for that purpose? I.e. Using the occupied orbitals to build a reference wavefunction for a CI calculation?

Morberticus said:
Thanks. Ultimately I need orbital energies for a post-Hartree Fock CI calculation. Would they be valid to use for that purpose? I.e. Using the occupied orbitals to build a reference wavefunction for a CI calculation?

The orbitals are fine (they are unique up to unitary transformations). The ROHF orbital energies, however, are not typically used in post-HF treatments. If you, say, put a perturbative method like RMP2 or the (T) of RHF-UCCSD(T) on top of ROHF, what happens is that the program first calculates semi-canonical alpha and beta orbitals and orbial energies, and then uses these for the actual calculation. This is done by first forming alpha and beta fock matrices (charge density Fock +/- open shell exchange) and then block-diagonalizing these in the the subspaces of the doubly/[doubly+singly] occupied and [singly+unoccupied]/unoccupied ROHF orbitals. I.e., the single set of ROHF orbitals is split into two different alpha and beta spin-orbital parts, with different (but related) spatial components.

There are also some other things to look out for. For example, ROHF wave functions do not fulfill the UHF Brillounin-Conditions, and this causes single excitations and singles energy contributions to appear in the correlation treatments.

But if you are just using a program, it will most likely do the right thing, so there is likely no need to worry about that.

cgk said:
The orbitals are fine (they are unique up to unitary transformations). The ROHF orbital energies, however, are not typically used in post-HF treatments. If you, say, put a perturbative method like RMP2 or the (T) of RHF-UCCSD(T) on top of ROHF, what happens is that the program first calculates semi-canonical alpha and beta orbitals and orbial energies, and then uses these for the actual calculation. This is done by first forming alpha and beta fock matrices (charge density Fock +/- open shell exchange) and then block-diagonalizing these in the the subspaces of the doubly/[doubly+singly] occupied and [singly+unoccupied]/unoccupied ROHF orbitals. I.e., the single set of ROHF orbitals is split into two different alpha and beta spin-orbital parts, with different (but related) spatial components.

There are also some other things to look out for. For example, ROHF wave functions do not fulfill the UHF Brillounin-Conditions, and this causes single excitations and singles energy contributions to appear in the correlation treatments.

But if you are just using a program, it will most likely do the right thing, so there is likely no need to worry about that.

Sorry, shouldn't have said orbital energies. Slip of the tongue (or fingers). I am only using the orbitals to produce Configuration State Functions, not the individual ROHF energies.

The program is in-house, but is fairly reliable.

Thanks again.

1. What is Hartree-Fock theory in relation to a single Oxygen atom?

Hartree-Fock theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the electronic structure of a molecule or atom. In the case of a single Oxygen atom, it involves solving the Schrodinger equation for the atom's wave function and energy, taking into account the interactions between the electrons and the nucleus.

2. Why is Hartree-Fock theory important for studying a single Oxygen atom?

Hartree-Fock theory allows us to understand the electronic structure and behavior of a single Oxygen atom, which is a fundamental building block of many molecules and compounds. This knowledge is crucial for understanding the chemical properties and reactions of Oxygen in various environments.

3. How does Hartree-Fock theory differ from other quantum mechanical methods?

Hartree-Fock theory is a self-consistent method, meaning that it takes into account the interactions between all electrons in the atom or molecule. This is in contrast to other methods, such as the simple atomic orbital approximation, which only considers the interactions between the outermost electrons.

4. Can Hartree-Fock theory accurately predict the properties of a single Oxygen atom?

While Hartree-Fock theory is a powerful and widely used method, it is not exact and has limitations. It neglects the effects of electron correlation, which is the interaction between electrons that cannot be described by a single, independent wave function. Additionally, it assumes the atom is in its ground state, so it may not accurately predict properties at higher energy levels.

5. How is Hartree-Fock theory applied in practical research on a single Oxygen atom?

Hartree-Fock theory is often used as a starting point for more advanced methods in quantum chemistry, such as density functional theory or coupled cluster theory. It can also be used to calculate properties such as electron density, ionization energy, and bond energies, which are important for understanding the behavior of Oxygen in various chemical reactions and environments.