Stationary States: Definition & Free Particle Incident

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a stationary state and its use in describing a free particle incident on a finite potential step. It is mentioned that stationary states are similar to solving for standing waves on a string, and that they correspond to specific circumstances that produce standing wave patterns.
Sirius24

Homework Statement

dJ(x,t)/dx = -dY^2 / dt , where y is the wave equation, and the d's represent partial derivatives. I want to make an assumption that I can describe the wave equation as a stationary state, so my question is the following:

What is the definition of a stationary state and can it be used to describe a free particle incident on a finite potential step from the left? This is not a specific question for the problem, but I need to know in order to make an assumption to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not that clued up on this myself, but stationary states appear to be similar to solving for standing waves on a string.

The assumption is made that the wavefunction y(x,t) = Bsin(kx +/- wt) (B arbitrary, k the wave number, w the angular frequency, x position and t time) and the wave is bouncing back and forth within a potential well "box". The stationary states correspond to the particular circumstances that produce standing wave patterns.

What is a stationary state?

A stationary state is a state in quantum mechanics where the probability of finding a particle at any given point in time does not change over time. This means that the particle's wavefunction is time-independent.

How is a stationary state different from a non-stationary state?

In a non-stationary state, the probability of finding a particle at any given point in time changes over time. This means that the particle's wavefunction is time-dependent.

What is the definition of a free particle incident?

A free particle incident is a scenario in quantum mechanics where a particle is moving freely through space without any external forces acting on it.

How are stationary states related to energy levels?

In quantum mechanics, stationary states are associated with specific energy levels. The energy of a particle in a stationary state is constant and does not change over time.

Can a particle be in multiple stationary states at the same time?

No, a particle can only be in one stationary state at a time. This is because each stationary state is associated with a unique energy level, and a particle cannot have multiple energies simultaneously.