Probability- My poor English

In summary, the probability of scoring a total of 7 points (a) once, (b) at least once, (c) twice, in 2 tosses of a pair of dice is 5/18.
azizlwl
Find the probability of scoring a total of 7 points (a) once, (b) at least once, (c) twice, in 2 tosses of a pair of dice.

My question.
1. What does scoring a total of 7 points mean? Is it 1+6 or 2+5 or 3+4 or 4+3 or 5+2 or 6+1

2. Is in 2 tosses of a pair of dice means that throwing 2 dices at once twice. How this relate to scoring of 7 points.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
azizlwl said:
Find the probability of scoring a total of 7 points (a) once, (b) at least once, (c) twice, in 2 tosses of a pair of dice.

My question.
1. What does scoring a total of 7 points mean? Is it 1+6 or 2+5 or 3+4 or 4+3 or 5+2 or 6+1

*** Yes ***

2. Is in 2 tosses of a pair of dice means that throwing 2 dices at once twice. How this relate to scoring of 7 points.

*** I think it actually might mean tossing a pair of dice once, or one die twice.

DonAntonio ***

Thank you.

Because you say specifically "2 tosses of a pair of dice" the reference is to rolling a pair of dice two different times. Each time you roll a pair of dice you can get any number from 1 to 6 (all equally likely) on the first die and 1 to 6 (all equally likely) on the second die. That means that there are 6x6= 36 equally likely combinations of two dice. Of course, the number they add to aren't equally likely. Only (1, 1) gives a sum of 2, only (6, 6) adds to 12, while (1, 6), (2, 5), (3, 4), (4, 3), (5, 2), and (6, 1), 6 out of the 36 possible pairs, all add to 7. The probability a roll of two dice will add to 7 is 6/36= 1/6. Of course, that means the probability of getting anything other than a 7 rolling a pair of dice is 1- 1/6= 5/6. The probability of getting a 7 on the first roll but not on the second is (1/6)(5/6)= 5/36. The probability of getting any number other than a 7 on the first roll but a 7 on the second is (5/6)(1/6)= 5/36. So the probability of getting exactly one 7 in two rolls is (5/36)+ (5/36)= 10/36= 5/18.

All the other problems can be done similarlly.

Thank you

May I say that what is meant by "2 tosses of a pair of dice" is that it is the random experiment we do and all the outcomes as sample space. My understanding(easy for me to understand graphic presentation) maybe shown below
16|not7 (4 dices)
25|not7
34|not7
43|not7
52|not7
61|not 7
not 7|not 7
not 7|not 7
OR
not7|16
not7|25
not 7|34

azizlwl said:
Thank you

May I say that what is meant by "2 tosses of a pair of dice" is that it is the random experiment we do and all the outcomes as sample space. My understanding(easy for me to understand graphic presentation) maybe shown below
16|not7 (4 dices)
25|not7
34|not7
43|not7
52|not7
61|not 7
not 7|not 7
not 7|not 7
OR
not7|16
not7|25
not 7|34

u r right

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical probability formula.

What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: classical, empirical, and subjective. Classical probability is based on theoretical calculations, empirical probability is based on past data, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many areas of life, including finance, insurance, sports, and weather forecasting. It helps us make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring.

What are some common misconceptions about probability?

One common misconception is the belief in the "gambler's fallacy," which is the idea that past events can influence future outcomes in random events. Another misconception is the belief that probability can accurately predict individual outcomes, when in reality it can only provide a measure of likelihood for a group of events.