Exploring the Spin of Neutral Pions in High Energy Physics

In summary, the author of "Perkins's Introduction to High Energy Physics" discusses the spin of neutral pions in the decay \pi^0 → 2\gamma. The author argues that if s_\pi=1, then the z-component of the total photon spin can only have a value of S_z=0, and the two-photon amplitude must behave like P_1^m(\cos \theta) with m=0. This is because the orbit angular momentum l=1 in this scenario. However, the issue that remains is how to obtain a lz with two photons flying back to back in the z-direction. The author speculates that the total spin can be a combination of the photon spin and angular momentum in
karlzr
In Perkins's Introduction to High Energy Physics, the author obtained the spin of neutral pions from the decay [tex]\pi^0 → 2\gamma[/tex] He argued that the z-component of the total photon spin in the above decay can have the value [itex]S_z=0[/itex] or [itex]2[/itex]. If [itex]s_\pi=1[/itex], then only [itex]S_z=0[/itex] is possible, and the two-photon amplitude must behave under rotation like [itex]P_1^m(\cos \theta)[/itex] with [itex]m=0[/itex].
Why does the orbit angular momentum [itex]l=1[/itex] in his reasoning? Acually I do not understand why only [itex]S_z=0[/itex] is possible. Since if there is a [itex]l_z[/itex], then [itex]S_z[/itex] can be both 0 and 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get an lz with two photons flying back to back in z-direction? I can imagine how you get lx and ly.

mfb said:
How do you get an lz with two photons flying back to back in z-direction? I can imagine how you get lx and ly.

What about the total angular momentum [itex]l=1[/itex]? This is the real issue that bothers me.

I think the idea is that you get the total spin as combination of the photon spin (##S_z=0##) and the angular momentum (in a different direction, therefore ##s_\pi \geq S_z##). But that is a bit speculative.

photon's mass is zero.the spin component along z-axis can be only +1 or -1.Since it still behaves like boson(integral spin),you should use the same rotation rotation matrix for m=0.If s=1,for pion then of course,0 is the only possible value.

1. What is the spin of neutral pion?

The spin of neutral pion is 0, meaning it is a spinless particle.

2. How was the spin of neutral pion determined?

The spin of neutral pion was determined through experiments such as high-energy collision experiments and particle decay studies.

3. What is the significance of the spin of neutral pion?

The spin of neutral pion is significant because it is a fundamental property of the particle that helps to classify it within the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Does the spin of neutral pion affect its interactions with other particles?

Yes, the spin of neutral pion can affect its interactions with other particles, as particles with different spins can have different interaction strengths.

5. Can the spin of neutral pion change?

No, the spin of neutral pion is an intrinsic property that does not change over time or interactions with other particles.