Configuration Space In Classical Mechanics: Definition

In summary: It shows how to plot the path of motion of the system. It has the generalised coordinates q1 and q2 on the x and y axes, but it also has a z-axis to show the direction of motion.In summary, the professor defined generalised coordinates, the configuration space, and the path of motion of a system.
Dr_Pill
Hi,

I'm a bit confused wit the concept Configuration Space.

First, the professor defined generalised coordinates as such:

U got a system of n particles, each particle has 3 coordinates(x,y,z), so u got 3n degrees of freedom.
If the system has k holonomic constraints, u got 3n-k degrees of freedom.
Instead of working with cartesian coordinates, we now define a new set of coordinates q1,q2,..,q3n-k.

These are the generalised coordinates of the system,3n-k in total.

I get this.

Then a little bit further, when explaining Hamilton's Variatonal Principle, he defines a Configuration Space.

"The configuration space of a system is a 3n-k dimensional space with the generalised coordinates on the coordinate-axes."

So far, so good.

On the reference list of this course,Classical Mechanics of Goldstein is listed.

First page of the second chapter of Goldstein:

This n-dimensional space is therefore known as the configuration space...

In classical mechanics from Kibble, I didn't even found such thing as config space.

Also, on the internet I've found another course of Classical Mechanics:

http://www.phys.ttu.edu/~huang24/Teaching/Phys5306/CH2A.pdf"

There they say

Meaning of “motion of system between time t1 and t2”:
• A system is characterized by n generalized coordinates
q1,q2,q3,..qn.
• At time t1: q1(t1),q2(t1),..,qn(t1) represent a point in the ndimensional
configuration space.
• As time goes on, the system point moves in configuration
space tracing out a curve, called the
path of motion of the system.
• At time t2: q1(t2),q2(t2),.. ,qn(t2)
represent another point in the ndimensional
configuration space.
Here they say n generalised coordinates in n dimensional space, not like according to my professor 3n-k dimensions with 3n-k generalised coordinates!
Also, there's a little graph with on the horizontal axis q1 and on the vertical axis q2, but there are n dimension, according to their course !
But for the axes only q1 and q2 is used, so why not qn-1 and qn.
But a graph with only two axis, is 2-dimensional right?
It is not ndimensional

See my frustration here?

Please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The dimensionality of configuration space is always equal to the number of degrees of freedom. The references you've cited are just using the symbol n to denote different things. Your professor is describing N particles moving in three dimensions with k holonomic constraints, so the number of degrees of freedom is n = 3N - k.

I thought so myself.My professor made some mistakes, he used little n instead big N for the particles, very confusing at first.

Now is it clear, thanks :)

Edit:

Still not 100% clear:

Given is a simple graph of the configuration space with the generalised coordinates q1 and q2 on the axes, this is only 2-dimensional right, that I don't get?

Why put only those generalised coordinates on the axes? Is it equivalent to a simple x and y axes?

I need this to define the path of motion of the system.

U define a system that has N particles, so N generalised coordinates.But system has 3N-K dimensions, so u need 3N-k axes, and this is impossible to plot?

This is the simple graph below, I found it on the net.It is from Texas University.
tconfig%25space.JPG

Last edited:

1. What is configuration space in classical mechanics?

Configuration space in classical mechanics refers to the set of all possible positions and orientations that a system can take. It is a mathematical representation of the physical state of a system.

2. How is configuration space different from phase space?

Configuration space describes the physical state of a system in terms of its position and orientation, while phase space also includes the momentum of the system. Configuration space is a subset of phase space.

3. How is configuration space related to generalized coordinates and constraints?

Generalized coordinates are a set of variables used to describe the configuration of a system in configuration space. Constraints, such as fixed points or rigid bodies, can limit the possible configurations in configuration space.

4. Can configuration space be visualized?

Yes, configuration space can be visualized using diagrams or graphs, depending on the complexity of the system. For example, a simple pendulum can be represented as a point moving along a one-dimensional configuration space.

5. What is the significance of configuration space in classical mechanics?

Configuration space is an important concept in classical mechanics as it allows us to mathematically describe the physical state of a system and study its motion and dynamics. It also helps in formulating equations of motion for a system and predicting its behavior under different conditions.