A cylinder and sphere rolling without slipping

In summary, the acceleration of the sphere and cylinder down the inclined plane can be calculated using regular kinematics equations. To determine the angle between the inclined plane and the horizontal, the equations can be solved simultaneously to find the value of \sin\theta. However, the equations may involve complex values due to the energy required for the objects to roll instead of slide.
scavok
A hollow, thin-walled cylinder and a solid sphere start from rest and roll without slipping down an inclined plane of length 5 m. The cylinder arrives at the bottom of the plane 2.9 s after the sphere. Determine the angle between the inclined plane and the horizontal.

Ok, I think I'm close, but I'm getting really nasty equations at the end so I'm not very confident.

The acceleration of the sphere is 5*g*sin(x)/7
The acceleration of the cylinder is g*sin(x)/2

I'm pretty confident these are correct.

With the accelerations I should be able to use regular kinematics.

[tex]\Delta x=\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
Where [tex]\Delta x=5[/tex] and a=the acceleration of either the sphere or cylinder.

For the cylinder I get [tex]5=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{gsin\Theta}{2})(t+2.9)^2[/tex]
For the sphere I get [tex]5=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{5gsin\Theta}{7})t^2[/tex]

But when I solve for [tex]sin\Theta[/tex] or t, and plug it into the opposite equation, I get nasty looking things like:
http://home.comcast.net/~andykovacs/equation.GIF

Am I doing this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since they roll (rather than sliding) you need to account for the energy that goes into making them spin.

NateTG said:
Since they roll (rather than sliding) you need to account for the energy that goes into making them spin.
The equations already take that into consideration.

To scavok:

First solve for t by setting [itex]a_1 t^2 = a_2 (t + 2.9)^2[/itex] (the [itex]g \sin\theta[/itex] will drop out).

Then use t to solve for [itex]\sin\theta[/itex].

1. What is the difference between a cylinder and sphere rolling without slipping?

A cylinder and sphere both have the ability to roll without slipping, which means that there is no slipping or sliding of the surface as it rolls. The main difference between the two is their shape. A cylinder has a circular cross-section and a curved surface, while a sphere has a perfectly round shape.

2. How is the motion of a cylinder and sphere affected by friction?

When a cylinder or sphere is rolling without slipping, the motion is affected by friction. Friction provides the necessary force to keep the object rolling instead of sliding. If there is too much friction, the object may roll slower, and if there is too little friction, the object may slide instead of rolling.

3. Can a cylinder and sphere roll without slipping on any surface?

No, a cylinder and sphere can only roll without slipping on a surface that provides enough friction to prevent sliding. A surface that is too smooth or slippery may not provide enough friction for the object to roll without slipping.

4. How does the radius of a cylinder or sphere affect its rolling motion?

The radius of a cylinder or sphere has a direct impact on its rolling motion. A larger radius means that the object can cover more distance with each roll, while a smaller radius means that the object will roll slower. Additionally, a larger radius provides more stability and makes it easier for the object to roll without slipping.

5. What is the significance of the moment of inertia in the rolling motion of a cylinder and sphere?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the case of a cylinder and sphere rolling without slipping, the moment of inertia is crucial. A larger moment of inertia means that the object requires more force to start rolling, but once it is in motion, it will be easier to maintain a constant speed. On the other hand, a smaller moment of inertia means that the object will require less force to start rolling, but it may be more difficult to maintain a constant speed.