What evidence do we have for the existence of electron clouds?

In summary: The radial probability distribution looks like that. It's not the same thing as the probability distribution, which is |psi|^2 (for a single electron). The radial distribution is what you get if you take the probability at radius r and integrate over the surface of the sphere with that radius. Since a sphere with zero radius has zero surface area, it's zero at r=0. But the 1s (hydrogen ground state) orbital actually has its maximum at r = 0.In other words, the probability that the electron is in an infinitesimal volume element at (r, theta, omega) should not be confused with the total probability of the electron being at any point with a given radius.
wil3
Hello. I have recently been introduced to the concept of electrons as standing waves around the atomic nucleus. The explanation I read used the simulation of "a particle in a tube" to give a monodimensional interpretation of how the standing wave behaves.

Within an atom, what serves as the "boundaries" for the electron-wave? Is it purely classical electrostatic attraction to the nucleus?

Any accompanying calc-1 level math describing how classical electrostatics shapes these bounds would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Within an atom, an electron doesn't have sharp bounds. To find the wave solutions to any electron in a ______, you need to know the potential its in. One of the classical examples is an 'infinite square well in 1d.' In this case, there is a region of zero potential, bordered by two regions of infinite potential ---> this leads to a very well bounded electron.

Generally, for an atom, people describe the situation (simplified) by a potential resulting solely from electrostatic interactions, i.e. the potential 'U'
[tex]
U \propto \frac{1}{r}
[/tex]
and has no clear boundary. The result is that the probability distribution for the electron gradually falls off with increasing distance from the atom's nucleus.

yes, the probability distribution of a bound electron looks like a normal distribution curve squished off to the left and peaking at distance = r for that energy level. I think it's zero at the nucleus and probability for radius much below the first energy band...

The probability for such a bound electron fades to zero at infinity while a free actually electron has a finite probability of being found at infinity...but I don't think we have found any there yet! (a poor joke)

I guess we learn about "orbits" with radii like planets, then electron clouds and also electron probability distributions...don't believe ANY of those have been observed...here's a computed graphic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_cloud

Last edited:
Naty1 said:
yes, the probability distribution of a bound electron looks like a normal distribution curve squished off to the left and peaking at distance = r for that energy level. I think it's zero at the nucleus and probability for radius much below the first energy band...

No, the radial probability distribution looks like that. It's not the same thing as the probability distribution, which is |psi|^2 (for a single electron). The radial distribution is what you get if you take the probability at radius r and integrate over the surface of the sphere with that radius. Since a sphere with zero radius has zero surface area, it's zero at r=0. But the 1s (hydrogen ground state) orbital actually has its maximum at r = 0.

In other words, the probability that the electron is in an infinitesimal volume element at (r, theta, omega) should not be confused with the total probability of the electron being at any point with a given radius.
I guess we learn about "orbits" with radii like planets, then electron clouds and also electron probability distributions...don't believe ANY of those have been observed

When we say 'electron cloud' then what we mean is the probability distribution. Which is directly measured all the time in more ways than I could enumerate. X-ray crystallography, STM imaging, even basic chemistry is indirect evidence.

1. What is an electron in a box wave bound?

An electron in a box wave bound is a quantum mechanical model that describes the behavior of an electron confined to a one-dimensional box. It is used to understand the properties of electrons in a confined space and how they interact with the boundaries of the box.

2. How does the size of the box affect the electron in a box wave bound?

The size of the box has a direct impact on the energy and behavior of the electron in a box wave bound. As the size of the box increases, the energy levels of the electron also increase. This is because the electron has more room to move and therefore has a higher potential energy.

3. What is the significance of the boundary conditions in the electron in a box wave bound?

The boundary conditions in the electron in a box wave bound refer to the restrictions placed on the electron's wave function at the boundaries of the box. These conditions dictate the possible energy levels and wave functions of the electron, and play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the electron in the box.

4. How is the energy of the electron in a box wave bound quantized?

The energy of the electron in a box wave bound is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the wave nature of the electron, where its energy is determined by the wavelength and frequency of its wave function. The box acts as a constraint, allowing only certain wavelengths and frequencies to exist within its boundaries, resulting in quantized energy levels.

5. Can the electron in a box wave bound model be applied to other systems?

Yes, the electron in a box wave bound model can be applied to other systems, such as atoms and molecules. It provides a simplified way to understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces and has been used to explain various phenomena in quantum mechanics. However, it is important to note that the model has its limitations and may not accurately describe all systems.