Does a proton age differently when accelerated at high speeds?

In summary, the question is asking whether a proton sent around the LHC at high speeds and then stopped would become younger or older. After a thought experiment, it is concluded that the proton would be younger than it would have aged if not put into the accelerator, but not younger than when it entered. It would be younger than (y years + 5 seconds) old, but older than y years. This is confirmed by the conversation partner.
-=Red=-
Very quick question here that's bugging me.

I go to the LHC and send a proton around at 0.999999991c. After 5 seconds of that speed I stop it and take it out. Has the proton become younger or older, by x years, than when it was put in?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
After doing a little thought experiment I conclude that the proton sent around the accelerator would indeed be younger...not by much mind you, but still, younger...am I correct?

-=Red=- said:
After doing a little thought experiment I conclude that the proton sent around the accelerator would indeed be younger...am I correct?

Yes!.. Wait.. No! Not younger than when it entered the accelerator! But younger than the 5 seconds it would have aged if you had not put it into the accelerator. For example if the proton was y years older when you put it in, then when you take out it will be younger than (y years + 5 seconds) old, but older than y years.

yuiop said:
Yes!.. Wait.. No! Not younger than when it entered the accelerator! But younger than the 5 seconds it would have aged if you had not put it into the accelerator. For example if the proton was y years older when you put it in, then when you take out it will be younger than (y years + 5 seconds) old, but older than y years.

YES! Thats exactly what I was getting at! Thanks so much!

1. What is time dilation on a proton?

Time dilation on a proton refers to the phenomenon in which time appears to move slower for a proton when it is moving at high speeds. This is due to the effects of special relativity and can be observed in experiments involving particle accelerators.

2. How does time dilation on a proton occur?

Time dilation on a proton occurs due to the relationship between time and velocity as described by Einstein's theory of special relativity. As a proton approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for the proton relative to an observer at rest.

3. What is the significance of time dilation on a proton?

The significance of time dilation on a proton lies in its confirmation of Einstein's theory of special relativity and its impact on our understanding of time and space. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and GPS technology.

4. Can time dilation on a proton be observed?

Yes, time dilation on a proton has been observed in various experiments involving particle accelerators. By measuring the decay rates of high-speed protons, scientists have been able to confirm the effects of time dilation.

5. Is time dilation on a proton the same as time dilation on a human?

No, time dilation on a proton is not the same as time dilation on a human. While both are based on the principles of special relativity, the effects of time dilation are much more pronounced for objects traveling at speeds close to the speed of light, such as protons, compared to the relatively slower speeds of humans.