Addition for generators of rotation

In summary, the dimension of the representation (j_{-},j_{+}) is (2j_{-}+1)(2j_{+}+1). The generator of rotations \mathbf{J} is related to \mathbf{J}^{+} and \mathbf{J}^{-} by \mathbf{J}=\mathbf{J}^{+}+\mathbf{J}^{-}; therefore, by the usual addition of angular momenta in quantum mechanics, in the representation (j_{-},j_{+}) we have states with all possible spin j in integer steps between the values |j_{+}-j_{-}| and j_{+
jfy4
Hi,

I have here the following rules for representations of the Lorentz algebra including spinors
  • The representations of the Lorentz algebra can be labeled by two half-integers [itex](j_{-},j_{+})[/itex].
  • The dimension of the representation [itex](j_{-},j_{+})[/itex] is [itex](2j_{-}+1)(2j_{+}+1)[/itex].
  • The generator of rotations [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is related to [itex]\mathbf{J}^{+}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{J}^{-}[/itex] by [itex]\mathbf{J}=\mathbf{J}^{+}+\mathbf{J}^{-}[/itex]; therefore, by the usual addition of angular momenta in quantum mechanics, in the representation [itex](j_{-},j_{+})[/itex] we have states with all possible spin [itex]j[/itex] in integer steps between the values [itex]|j_{+}-j_{-}|[/itex] and [itex]j_{+}+j_{-}[/itex].

My question is that given a representation [itex](1,\frac{1}{2})[/itex], the dimension for the plus and minus generators are different (3 and 2), yet I am suppose to add these matrices together for the generators [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex]. Would it be a direct product [itex]A\oplus B[/itex]? I don't see how you can add matrices together with different dimension.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not very familiar with group theory, but direct products and direct sums do not require the matrices to be of the same dimension. Else it would not be possible to describe composite systems of two parts whose Hilbert spaces are of different dimensions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Kronecker_product_of_two_matrices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_sum_of_matrices#Direct_sum

If you add two operators which act in different spaces, usually the following is meant:
[itex]A + B = A \otimes 1 + 1 \otimes B[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks kith,

That's my tentative answer too right now. I think it is the direct sum (I wrote direct product, oops, :blushing: ). That would get me a vector that has one 5x5 matrix for each component of the vector.

No, actually you want the direct product. Saying that a representation of the Lorentz group is (1, ½) means that J+ acts on a 3-dimensional representation and J- acts independently on a 2-dimensional representation. The Lorentz group representation has (2j-+1)(2j++1) components, which in this case is six. You need to construct a six-dimensional matrix as a direct product, and then presumably reduce it.

Really!? How should I interpret
[tex]
\mathbf{K}=-i(\mathbf{J}^{+}-\mathbf{J}^{-})
[/tex]
Is this the direct product of the generators such that one of them is negative? Before I thought I understood these, I had thought before this was the direct sum with [itex]\mathbf{J}^{-}[/itex] negative. Help!

The Lorentz group has six generators: three rotations J and three boosts K. You form linear combinations J+ and J-, and discover that J+ commutes with J- and each of J+, J- generates a 3-D rotation group, SU(2).

States in a representation of SU(2) are labeled as |j, m>. A representation of the Lorentz group will be a direct product of two such SU(2) representations and have states labeled as |j+, m+>|j-, m->.

As kith pointed out above, for an operator like K which is a linear combination of J+ and J-, each term acts separately on its own space, and the action can be written (J+ ⊗ 1) ⊕ (1 ⊗ J-).

Thanks guys.

1. What is "Addition for generators of rotation"?

"Addition for generators of rotation" is a mathematical concept that refers to the combination of two or more rotation generators to create a new rotation generator. It is used in fields such as physics and engineering to describe the behavior of rotating objects.

2. How does addition for generators of rotation work?

The addition for generators of rotation is based on the principle of vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each generator are combined to create a new generator. The specific equations used depend on the type of rotation generators being added.

3. What are some real-world applications of addition for generators of rotation?

Addition for generators of rotation is used in various applications, such as in robotics and mechanical engineering to model the movement of rotating parts. It is also used in physics to describe the rotational motion of particles.

4. Can addition for generators of rotation be applied to non-uniform rotations?

Yes, addition for generators of rotation can be applied to non-uniform rotations, where the rotational velocity is not constant. In these cases, the addition is not as straightforward and requires more complex equations to accurately describe the behavior of the rotating system.

5. How is addition for generators of rotation related to the concept of torque?

Addition for generators of rotation and torque are closely related, as torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The generators of rotation, when added together, determine the total torque acting on a rotating object.